Coming in January, customers will be able to checkout MiFi Hotspots just like they checkout books, DVDs, and CDs!
You might be asking “why is the library doing this?” There are several reasons. One third of our service population doesn’t have reliable internet access. This service supports all of the library’s CIG’s. This is not a new service in library-land.
The Service Details
- Checkout is for 21 days and not renewable.
- Anyone with a library account in good standing can check out a device (all ages).
- One device per household is encouraged.
- The MiFi Hotspots are hold-able at all branches. Expect customers to pick them up at a bookmobile stop, or have them delivered through the at home service.
- MiFi’s will be checked out by staff at the Customer Service desk or any bookmobile.
- MiFi’s should be returned to the Customer Service desk at the library or any bookmobile.
- If the device is not returned or goes overdue, Internet access will be turned off. This will be monitored and managed by DS
- The replacement fee for devices not returned is $199.
- The boxes will contain an instruction sheet in both English and Spanish!
How Customers will get Support
- Tier One customer support includes all staff who work the desks, answer phones, and or work in LibAnswers.
- Always LOOKUP THE PATRON ACCOUNT…to verify their status, the device details, how long the device has been checked out, etc.
- review the Public FAQ concerning MiFi’s with the patron as it applies to their question.. for answers on data usage and internet speeds.
- when all else fails, send a ticket to tier two.
fill out the referral form under the GET HELP menu on the Intranet
send the LibAnswers ticket to the Digital Services Queue.
- Tier Two customer support (DS)
- Confer with staff that submit referrals
- If needed, use the hotspot management system for in depth analysis of the device status, data usage etc.
Get Hands-on Experience First
We’re hosting four drop-in sessions called MiFi Hotspot TechPlay
- Tue December 14, 2 pm Creative Group Workroom
- Wed December 15, 12 pm Creative Group Workroom
- Thu December 16, 5 pm Creative Group Workroom
- Fri December 17, 10 am Creative Group Workroom
If you can’t make any of those times, check one out of the Tech Toolbox to learn on your own time!