Due to COVID-19 we have had to get really creative with our programming. And I have to say, you all have done a fantastic job. Some of you may be interested and/or eager to create some online programming but don’t know where to start or even what I’m talking about. Well, do I have some information for you!
What could I do as an online program?
- At home science experiments (must be safe, using household products, and have a STEM learning outcome.)
- Help and tips for students/parents who are now working from home.
- Crafts (must be safe and use household products. Need some for kids and for adults.)
- Share a talent or demo a skill you have (juggling, music, dance)
- I Love This Book book reviews of books customers can find on Hoopla and/or Overdrive.
- Short video review of what you’re watching on T.V. or binging
- Online book clubs and storytimes live/interactive.
- Having a version of a program you had planned in person online.
These are just ideas. If you have something you think might work, please send it in the program proposal.
Procedure for pre-recorded programs
- Discuss with your supervisor your idea for an online program.
- Fill out a program proposal and indicate (digital) the title.
- Wait to hear back from the programming team with approval and a deadline. Our goal will be to have a decision within 24 hours (Monday thru Friday).
- Once approved, you can record your video. Keep the General Video Guidelines in mind.
- Submit your video to OneDrive using the naming convention Last Name_First Name_Video Subject_Date. For uploading help please refer to the instructions here (at the end of General Video Guidelines).
You will be notified when your video is scheduled to go out, that way you’re sure to see it and can share it with your friends!
Procedure for live programs
- Discuss with your supervisor your idea for a live program on one of our social platforms.
- Fill out a program proposal and indicate (virtual) in the title.
- Wait to hear back from the programming team with approval and a deadline. Our goal will be to have a decision within 24 hours (Monday-Friday).
- Be prepared to be flexible on the date and time, as spaces for live programming are limited.
- Once you have approval of the date and time, put your program in Communico.
- After the program title put virtual via Zoom or facebook.com/TopekaLibrary depending on whether it is utilizing Zoom or a Facebook Live event
- List the location of your program as virtual
- Include Virtual as one of the event types.
- Make sure that registration is required. For the registration dates, set registration to end 30 minutes before the program begins.
- The programming team will create a meeting for your program in Zoom using the library’s account and set a moderator for your program.
- The moderator will send you a link to the meeting and the password to enter. You will need to send the link to those who have registered prior to the program.
- 15 minutes before the program, you and your moderator will login to the meeting. The moderator will then make you the host so you have the ability to share your screen and lead the program.