As of the end of the day on Monday, February 1, 2016, Ivan will have placed bed bug kits at each service desk: Reference, New Media, Kids, The Edge, Red Carpet, Topeka Room, Customer Service.
The kit includes paper towels, gloves, rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, and zip lock bags.
If a bug is seen/reported, please take the kit.
- Put on gloves.
- Capture the bug (sometimes catching them in scotch tape works well) and place the bug in a zip lock bag.
- Wipe down the surfaces with the rubbing alcohol and paper towels. Rubbing Alcohol kills bed bugs and eggs on contact when it is wet. Once the alcohol evaporates it does nothing. It is not a preventative.
- If you need to bag up books or other materials, please do so.
- If the items are larger like furniture, please contact the Custodial Staff and they will handle the big items.
- If a computer is involved, please contact Digital Services and they will address the computer for you.
Please send items, captured bug, etc. to the boxes outside of Ruth’s office. Paper towels and gloves can be thrown away in the regular trash.