Management Council notes August 30, 2018

Management Council notes

August 30, 2018

2:00 – 4:00 PM

Marvin Auditorium 101C

Present: Autumn Friedli, David King, Debbie Stanton, Diana Friend, Greg Gaul, Gina Millsap, Ivan Johnson, Jesse Maddox, John Kugler, Kelli Smith, Kristin Kelly, LeAnn Brungardt, Mary Campbell, Nancy Lindberg, Paul Brennan, Ruth Rodden, Scarlett Fisher-Herreman, Stephanie Hall, Sandy Hestand, Thad Hartman, Ted Yungclas

Meeting Purpose: Policy issues; body cameras

Expected Products: discussion on potential policy updates; Police use of body cameras

Sandy Hestand called the meeting of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library Management Council to order at 2:00 PM. She reviewed the meeting agenda and presented the minutes of the August 23, 2018 meeting for approval. There were no additions or corrections to the minutes and they were approved.

Policy Issues

Gina Millsap and Thad Hartman updated the Management Council providing information and background circumstances relating to several policy issues. Gina has received an opinion from library attorney Chuck Engle regarding the following:

  • Non service animals on library property
  • Proper clothing attire
  • Other Farmers Market issues
  • Petitioning and campaigning on library property
  • 3d printing of guns

There was discussion on all items. Thad distributed additional information and policy examples from other libraries that have maker spaces with 3d printers. David King and Debbie Stanton will complete additional research and return with more information for the next MC meeting September 13. Side bar conversation included a discussion about movies being viewed in the Team Rooms that may be seen by customers using other areas of the library. Extraneous noise and perhaps movie content less appropriate for minors may bother some customers. There have not been complaints yet but staff members need to be coached on how to work with Team Room users so they can be sensitive to their surroundings when using the rooms. Kristin Kelly will develop a script for staff to use and begin incorporating using the script with staff training.

Body cameras worn by police

Thad reported the Topeka Police Department Officers will begin wearing body cameras September 1. Off duty police officers will be wearing the cameras when they are on security shifts at the library. There was discussion relating to these changes. Gina will develop a memo requesting that two security staff members participate when interviewing customers – preferably a male staff member and a female staff member. Gina will request guidelines from Chuck regarding conversations where staff members are being recorded and how staff should conduct themselves in those situations.

Action Items from Meeting

Action Item Who’s Responsible Completion Date
3d printer policy ideas developed David King, Debbie Stanton September 13, 2018
Script developed for staff for Team Room user awareness – sensitivity to other library users Kristin Kelly TBD
develop a memo requesting that two security staff members participate when interviewing customers – preferably a male staff member and a female staff member Gina Millsap, Thad Hartman TBD
request guidelines from Chuck regarding conversations where staff members are being recorded Gina Millsap, Thad Hartman TBD

 

Area Updates

  • Sandy Hestand reported that bookmobile security cameras have been installed and are waiting tweaking by Digital Services. She also reported that the New Adventuremoble would arrive at the end of December.
  • Diana Friend provided an update on meetings with theatre design students at UMKC about developing a mascot idea and costume for the library. She reported that the new Adventuremobile design has been approved and will be revealed to staff soon. Communications and Marketing have completed transitioning Library News from 16 pages to 12 pages.
  • Marie Pyko has been meeting with potential community partners and meeting with people and groups regrading programming planning. She has been working with David King to create a communication plan for using Textedly for emergency communication. She shared initial responses and thoughts from Summer Learning Program debriefing and plans for 2019. Preliminary 2019 plans call for an entire community summer learning initiative involving partnerships with Kansas Children’s Discovery Center, the Topeka Zoo and Shawnee County Parks and Recreation. The 2019 theme is Space. She is looking for additional collaborators.
  • John Kugler provided an update on the after school snack program that begins next week. Staff and security will be posted strategically to direct and assist guiding students to the snack location.
  • Paul Brennan encouraged managers and supervisors to have their staff members contact Kari Zimmerman if they would be willing to supervise at after school snack time. There is a training session required before being able to serve snack.
  • Debbie Stanton reported on team meetings she has been holding with staff members. She has been following up with them about information provided at All Staff Meetings last week. They have been discussing scheduling hierarchy with desk time being the top priority. She has hired a full time specialist and is searching for a new part time specialist.
  • Greg Gaul provided an update on the shortage of security staffing and other issues.
  • Gina Millsap updated the Management Council that members of the Valeo staff have been at the library checking in with customers who appear to be in need. Have any managers been aware of this?
  • Ted Yungclas thanked the Management Council for their support during his four years serving as the Executive Assistant.
  • Jesse Maddox provided an insurance and benefits update.
  • Mary Campbell reported that Booktique Manager Laura Schmidt has resigned and Book Prep Coordinator Kevin Cherveny has been out on a medical leave.
  • Kristin Kelly provided an update on her meetings with supervisors. She is working on new employee orientation, updating staff courses and developing an onboarding process. Next steps include determining what is needed for new employee training.
  • Autumn Friedli reported that Debbie Bryan has changed her last name to Ellerbrook.
  • David King provided an update relating to the power outage earlier in the week.
  • Scarlett Fisher-Herreman reported that it is business as usual in Tech Services.
  • Ruth Rodden reported that she is still searching for 2 part time library associates.
  • Kelli Smith provided an update on the Smartlockers and Holds process.
  • Gina also shared information about the upcoming ULC annual forum that she, Thad, Marie, Diana and Stephanie will attend next week “Leading Forward.” She reported on the Community Broadband initiative – a Request for Information has been generated which is waiting for JEDO board approval. The next step is to generate a Request for Proposals. Gina met with new State Librarian Eric Norris and discussed revisions of statewide licensing plans. Gina reported that Margo Rangel will be joining the staff as Executive Assistant on September 10.
  • LeAnn Brungardt provided additional information regarding data from the Summer Learning Program. She also reported that out of school programming has begun. Youth Services is developing ideas and a framework to support learning for children in lieu of the Homework Center during out of school time.
  • Thad Hartman provided some details about his plans as he begins his role as Chief of Staff. He will focus on Community Impact Goals implementation and staff incorporating them into their work. He will also focus on the library as a learning organization. Thad will continue his work overseeing the Facilities Master Plan projects. 

Topics and projects for upcoming meetings

  • Services offered by the Library: Facilitation – Librarian / Management Team
  • Human Resources Training – Jesse Maddox and Felicia Hillebert
  • Utilizing data when communicating to staff, board, and public
  • New Data Source – Thad Hartman
  • Invite library attorney Chuck Engel to speak to group about review of Kansas Library Law, Library Policies, conversations where staff find themselves being recorded.

Meeting adjourned

There was no other business to bring before the Management Council and the meeting adjourned at 3:45PM.

Next meeting

Thursday, September 13, 2018

2:00-4:00 PM

Marvin Auditorium 101C

Ivan Johnson, facilitator

 

 

One thought on “Management Council notes August 30, 2018

  1. Natalie Moreland on said:

    A question and a comment:

    1) When should library staff expect to learn more about Mr. Engle’s recommendations on the topics listed?

    2) With Space as a theme for Summer Reading next year, the Science department at Washburn University seems like an excellent partner choice with their observatory – at the very least we could help promote the open houses they hold at Crane Observatory.