Management Council notes
August 23, 2018
2:00 – 4:00 PM
Menninger Room 206
Present: Autumn Friedli, David King, Debbie Stanton, Diana Friend, Ivan Johnson, Jesse Maddox, Kim Torrey, Kelli Smith, Kristin Kelly, LeAnn Brungardt, Mary Campbell, Nancy Lindberg, Paul Brennan, Ruth Rodden, Scarlett Fisher-Herreman, Stephanie Hall, Sandy Hestand, Thad Hartman, Ted Yungclas
Meeting Purpose: Review results of Springsted Classification and Compensation Study.
Expected Products: Management Council will have the opportunity for discussion relating to the recent Springsted study prior to the August 28 All Staff meetings.
Thad Hartman called the meeting of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library Management Council to order at 2:00 PM. He reviewed the agenda topics. The July 26 meeting minutes were previously posted.
Springsted Classification and Compensation Study
Jesse Maddox introduced and welcomed Kristin Kelly, the new Staff Development Coordinator.
Jesse reviewed aspects of the Springsted Classification and Compensation study and discussed the following areas:
- Objective of the study
- Springsted Methodology
- Market survey
- Survey went to 32 organizations – 12 responded (37.5%)
- Salary ranges are below market
- Job Evaluation
- Pay philosophy (2019 pay scale handouts distributed)
- Springsted proposal
- 3 Proposed implementation options
- Implementation (how library will implement, timeline)
- Will take place in January 2019 (during designated payroll cycles)
The staff will see this presentation during the All Staff Meetings on August 28.
- The understanding that this is not merely a pay raise, it is a new pay system from which raises will occur. The plan brings the library pay system up to market level.
- Classifications and how they relate to positions existing and the different departments and areas.
- Specific positions
- The midpoint level
- Exempt and non-exempt (still waiting for job classifications to be returned)
Several modifications and clarifications to the pay scale. Jesse will incorporate those in the documents for the All Staff Meetings.
All Staff Meeting agenda planning
Thad led discussion for planning the August 28 All Staff meetings and a draft agenda was prepared. Topics will include:
- Welcome and introductions
- Key elements of the FY2019 budget
- Springsted Classification and Compensation Study
- Claire’s Courtyard update
Action Items from Meeting
|Action Item||Who’s Responsible||Completion Date|
|All Staff Meeting agenda sent to staff||Gina Millsap||August 24, 2018|
Topics and projects for upcoming meetings
- Services offered by the Library: Facilitation – Librarian / Management Team
- Human Resources Training – Jesse Maddox and Felicia Hillebert
- Utilizing data when communicating to staff, board, and public
- New Data Source – Thad Hartman
There was no other business to bring before the Management Council and the meeting adjourned at 3:25PM.
Thursday, August 30, 2018
Marvin Auditorium 101C
Sandy Hestand, facilitator