Management Council notes May 24, 2018

Management Council notes

May 24, 2018

2:30 – 4:00 PM

Marvin Auditorium 101C

Present: Autumn Friedli, David King, Debbie Stanton, Diana Friend, Greg Gaul, Gina Millsap, Jesse Maddox, John Kugler, Kelli Smith, LeAnn Brungardt, Mary Campbell, Marie Pyko, Nancy Lindberg, Paul Brennan, Ruth Rodden, Scarlett Fisher-Herreman, Stephanie Hall, Sandy Hestand, Thad Hartman, Ted Yungclas

Meeting Purpose: Policies

Expected Products: overview of policies – new supervisors gain understanding of library policies

 

Diana Friend called the meeting of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library Management Council to order at 2:30 PM. She reviewed the agenda topics and reviewed the minutes from the May 3 meeting. There were no corrections or additions to the minutes and they were approved as written.

Policy review

LeAnn Brungardt led discussion relating to the following:

Customer Conduct Policy including the No Tolerance Policy which is a more defined behavior expectation for customer conduct. She also reviewed what policy misuse/abuse looks like and ways to enforce policy (also from the Manager in Charge role). LeAnn presented an overview of the grievance process.

Unattended Child Policy (anyone under the age of 8). She discussed how to address this when serving as Manager in Charge

LeAnn reviewed tools to use:

Ruth Rodden provided an overview of how to find policies on the website https://tscpl.org/about/policies. She reviewed the Circulation Policy and the Circulation Guidelines highlighting the following information:

  • Circulation Policy
    • Eligible Borrowers/Who can obtain a card
    • Borrowing of Materials
    • Unpaid fees
  • Circulation Guidelines
    • Opening an account
    • Following library rules re checkout, return, condition of materials

The group participated in discussion and offered examples and scenarios relating to the policies and guidelines.

Marie Pyko reviewed the Customer Service Policy highlighting the following:

  • Protecting customer confidentiality
  • Taking responsibility for understanding and implementing library policies and guidelines.
  • Taking responsibility for behaving ethically
  • Taking responsibility for creating a welcoming atmosphere
  • Taking responsibility for providing each customer with an exceptional user experience
  • Taking responsibility for meeting needs of customers and co-workers
  • Taking responsibility for practicing good work habits

 

Updates

  • Thad Hartman reported that a position has been posted for a Community Services Librarian and he’s hopes to have the position filled quickly.
  • Mary Campbell reported that the Friends hope to have Ann Semler’s position as Book Prep Coordinator filled soon. Her last day is next week. Mary also reported that the Friends almost have all the books they need for summer book sale and provided an update on the book sale. She also provided an update on plans to sell items the library no longer needs.
  • LeAnn Brungardt report that a new employee started last night – Youth Services is completely staffed.
  • Ruth Rodden reported she has 2 to 3 part time vacancies.
  • Marie Pyko reported that additional staff is being trained for Commercial Driver’s Licenses for the bookmobiles. She reported that use of the Learn and Play bus service at Auburn is increasing. She also reported that the library will be involved with Kansas Children’s Discovery Center program this summer. Marie is the coordinator of the Summer Meal program at Hillcrest.
  • Stephanie Hall reported she is in the process of interviewing two part time positions for Public Services
  • Debbie Stanton reported that she is enjoying the training sessions and getting to know the staff.
  • Diana Friend reported on next week’s Summer Learning Launch. Communications and Marketing is testing Program Book and resolving issues. They are strategizing and prioritizing marketing focus.
  • Greg Gaul initiated a conversation relating to having service dogs in training in the building.
  • Scarlett Fisher-Herreman reported that Technical Services is working on a weeding/re-cataloging project of the large print collection. In addition Youth Services audio books are being re-catalogued and the Neighborhood area collections are continually being reviewed and revised.
  • David King reported that program changes and training for Program Book will take place next Wednesday at Creative Group meeting time. The roll out of new staff computers is continuing. The new multi-media room has been set up in the former KLA office space – he invited everyone to come and visit.
  • Sandy Hestand reported that bookmobile maintenance has been completed.
  • Jesse Maddox reported that he has received the initial report relating to the Springsted Classification/Compensation Study and continues to wait for recommendations from them.
  • Gina Millsap reported on the latest Momentum 2022 Talent Development Work Group. The StriveTogether model (https://www.strivetogether.org/) has been selected to support Momentum 2022 and its Cradle Through Career initiative to better serve community members. It is a collective impact model and is one we should become familiar with. She will continue to provide updates.
  • Gina had a series of items to report about:
    • She reported that she will write a memo regarding all the new staff information and post it in News 2 Use.
    • The first new Board of Trustees Orientation session will be May 31. This day will consist of meetings and a tour of the library departments and areas.
    • She will be meeting with Randy Peterson, President and CEO of Stormont Vale regarding patient interest and change being planned for the hospital. Thad and John will attend that meeting as well.
    • She and members of the Senior Executive Team will meet with Scott McCausland from OCLC to discuss OCLC Wise.
    • She and Kim confirmed the meeting agenda for the June 11 Board Budget Work Session.
    • She will be meeting with new State Librarian Eric Norris. He will come here for the meeting and a tour.
    • She reported that the management change in Facilities and Security will begin June 4.
    • Stephanie Hall will officially begin her duties as Learning Experiences Manager in July.
    • The Library needs to do another education round for staff regarding health care/employee costs.
  • Diana Friend reported that the Gallery exhibit Sounds Like Art will open tomorrow evening as a part of First Friday events. She invited the Management Council for a walk through visit following the meeting.

Topics and projects for upcoming meetings

  • Services offered by the Library: Facilitation – Librarian / Management Team
  • Human Resources Training – Jesse Maddox and Felicia Hillebert
  • Utilizing data when communicating to staff, board, and public
  • New Data Source – Thad Hartman

Meeting adjourned

There was no further business to bring before the Management Council and the meeting adjourned 4:23PM.

Next meeting

Thursday, June 7, 2018

2:00-4:00 PM

Marvin Auditorium 101C

Greg Gaul, facilitator

 

 

 

 

 

Comments are closed.