Management Council Notes – March 1, 2018

Management Council Minutes

March 1, 2018

2:00 – 4:00 PM

Marvin Auditorium 101C

Present: David King, Diana Friend, Gina Millsap, Ivan Johnson, John Kugler, Kim Torrey, LeAnn Brungardt, Mary Campbell, Marie Pyko, Nancy Lindberg, Paul Brennan, Ruth Rodden, Sandy Hestand, Thad Hartman, Ted Yungclas

Meeting Purpose: plan March 7 All Staff Meetings review February 19 Staff Development Day; discussion of procedures for inclement weather; community impact goal Leadership Teams update; Supervisory Training; children left at the library; Human Resources update

Expected Products: March 7 All Staff Meetings planned; Plus/Delta for February 19 Staff Development Day completed; review of inclement weather process/procedures; CIG Leadership Teams report out, determine next steps; Supervisory training planned; small group report regarding children left at the library at closing time; Human Resources updates reported

Ruth Rodden called the March 1, 2018 meeting of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library Management Council to order at 2:00 PM in the Marvin Auditorium 101C. She reviewed the meeting purpose and provided an overview of the agenda. Minutes from the January 4, 2018 meeting were approved as presented.

All Staff Meetings – March 7, 2018

Following a brief discussion it was decided that All Staff Meetings for March 7, 2018 will not be held. The next meetings are scheduled for May 9, 2018.

2018 Staff Development Day evaluation – Plus/Delta

Gina Millsap distributed notes provided by Scarlett Fisher-Herreman regarding her thoughts about Staff Development Day – they are listed below.

Plus:

  • Well organized day with good length of time for individual sessions. We stuck to the schedule and that worked well.
  • Both keynote presenters were engaging and prepared to present to a group of our size and diversity. I heard positive comments from staff about the speakers both during staff day and after staff day.
  • I enjoyed the Tai Chi session with Doug Petrie. I think we should consider working with Doug to bring that onboard at least one morning a week (before the library opens) for library staff. I would even pay to participate in it.
  • For the most part, the picky eater (me) liked the food. J

Delta:

  • I liked moving the service awards to the beginning of the day. That said, the delivery of the awards needs a little polish. No one’s name should be mispronounced. On that note, I volunteer to be a reader (if desired) for next year. I would be meticulous in my preparation.
  • The staff day evaluation for staff has yet to be sent out. It should be ready to go before the event occurs and sent out the next day. Staff notice when it’s stated that we want feedback via evaluation and then never ask for it.

Ruth led a general discussion with the Management Council – their Plus/Delta notes are as follows:

Plus:

  • Flow of the day moved well, breaks were just right
  • Nice variety of breakout sessions
  • Good to switch up what we were doing every hour
  • Several staff members commented that this day was In the top 5 all-time best Staff Development Days
  • Liked having the award recognition ceremony first thing – at the beginning of the day
  • Pat Wagner was a good speaker
  • Liked the handouts from Pat Wagner
  • Loved the Tai Chi break out group
  • Story telling section break out group was well done
  • Sports session break out group was good
  • Heartened by frontline staff sitting toward the front of the room
  • Breakfast was good
  • Lunch was good

Delta:

  • Didn’t like leadership and staff seated in different areas not interacting
  • Having leadership group together further divides leadership and staff
  • During Awards recognition, recognize newer staff members first and move to longer service staff
  • Too much trash left on tables – people should self police their area
  • Remind staff to clock in and out at the end of the day

Following discussion, the Management Council compared their Plus/Delta to the Staff Development planning committee Plus/Delta

Inclement Weather

Gina recapped the decision making process regarding the two days last week when ice storms occurred. Gina will obtain initial consultation from out of town staff regarding conditions There was discussion about this including designating essential employees. There was also discussion about best ways to notify the staff to inform them of a late opening or closure.

Action to be taken:

  • A comprehensive contact list for Management Council will be developed – Ted and HR will take care of this.
  • A Textedly type component for notifying staff in the event of a late opening or closure will be identified and implemented. David King will research this and other Apps available for weather and other emergency notification issues.

CIG Team Updates

Marie Pyko provided updates on Community Impact Goals Leadership Teams’ progress. The facilitators met to check progress with their respective groups and they decided that two additional small group sessions were needed. Following those meetings they will come back together with a draft plan. Marie also provided an update on the progress of the “best life” group and shared some of the product they are developing. Stephanie Hall provided updates on the “Passion for Learning” group’s work and how they anticipate their strategies will be designed. LeAnn Brungardt provided updates for the “Ready for Kindergarten” group’s progress. Thad Hartman reported on the progress from the “Community of Readers” group. Marie clarified that the groups should plan to have some strategies outlined with an idea of how it might work.

Important notes:

  • Next big group is March 27.
  • Next small group is March 13.
  • Need to develop a plan for the Learning Organization CIG

Supervisory Training

Jesse Maddox distributed material relating to Supervisory Training / On-boarding Topics. Based on feedback from managers, supervisors and directors he added to the list of topics he sent out previously. The group took time to review this information and they provided feedback to updated document.

There was discussion. The following questions were considered and need additional thought.

What will the training process look like?

How do we document the training process and any follow up?

Jesse will include today’s discussion in his notes and incorporate the information into final plan.

Human Resources

Jesse reported that Springsted has responded and he is currently working to verify the compensation and benefits survey as well as the list of employers it will be sent to. They hope to send it the week of March 5th with a deadline of late March.

Jesse also reported on exempt/non-exempt employees. Currently he is working on some changes that will clarify how exempt employees account for their work time and how they use leave. A proposal will be sent to Gina for review the week of March 5th.

Children Remaining on Library Property at Closing

Ruth Rodden distributed a document with proposed procedures for Children Remaining on Library Property at Closing. She, Greg Gaul, Ivan Johnson, LeAnn Brungardt and Brad McCarter were members of the subcommittee called to develop the procedures. They used and followed existing library policies and the process the police department uses when attending to children left on site. The group reviewed the proposed procedure. There was discussion. Ruth noted changes and will edit the document for a final review. The final document will be part of supervisor training and will be included in Manager In Charge materials.

Updates

  • Mary Campbell announced that Lisa Werner is a new Friends hire and will be working in the Booktique.

Topics and projects for upcoming meetings

  • Services offered by the Library: Facilitation – Librarian / Management Team
  • Human Resources Training – Jesse Maddox and Felicia Hillebert
  • Utilizing data when communicating to staff, board, and public
  • New Data Source – Thad Hartman
  • Invite Library Attorney Chuck Engel – review of Kansas Law (March or April)

Meeting adjourned

There was no additional business to bring to the attention of the group and the meeting was adjourned at 3:50 PM.

Next meeting

Thursday, March 8, 2018

2:00-4:00 PM

Marvin Auditorium 101A

Paul Brennan, facilitator

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments are closed.