Management Council notes – November 30, 2017

Management Council notes

November 30, 2017

2:00 – 4:00 PM

Menninger Room 206

Present: David King, Diana Friend, Greg Gaul, Gina Millsap, Ivan Johnson, Jesse Maddox, John Kugler, Kim Torrey, LeAnn Brungardt, Mary Campbell, Marie Pyko, Nancy Lindberg, Paul Brennan, Ruth Rodden, Scarlett Fisher-Herreman, Stephanie Hall, Thad Hartman, Ted Yungclas

Meeting Purpose: Human Resources Topics; Friends Book Sale changes; Facilities Master Plan 2018; Staff Development Day 2018; other updates

Expected Products: Review of Springsted Classification and Compensation Study; Leave Time clarification; understanding of Friends Book Sale changes; Overview of Facilities Master Plan projects for 2018; 2018 Staff Development Day plans; other project updates shared

David King called the November 30, 2017 meeting of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library Management Council to order at 2:00 PM in the Menninger Room 206. He reviewed the meeting purpose and provided an overview of the agenda. Minutes from the November 2, 2017 meeting were approved as edited.

Human Resources Topics

Jesse Maddox discussed the importance of having staff Performance Appraisals (PAs) completed in a timely manner. There are an inordinate number of PAs being turned in at the end of the year.

Library policies were discussed and it was decided that those policies that cannot wait until a full policy revision or creation to present to the board would be discussed in Management Council and an interpretation decision would be made for the time being. When the time was right to propose policy changes to the Board the administration would make those recommendations, but not prior to acting on the interpretation we have as a group.

Library policies will be reviewed one or two at a time. Process for review will begin with Management Council discussion followed up with e-mail edits/contributions. Feedback will be obtained by the CEO before final revisions are presented to the Trustee Executive Board. Following Board approval of revised or updated policies Management Council will implement the policy.

Jesse forwarded job position classifications to area managers for review as part of the Springsted Classification and Compensation Study. Errors were noted. The timeline and deadlines were included with the communication. Human Resources will begin sending staff position descriptions to staff for their review along with a position analysis questionnaire. Jesse distributed an example of a position description. This was discussed. Employee meetings have been set up so the survey process can be discussed and allow time for questions.

The goal is to have the survey completed in time for 2019 FY budget building. Significant salary adjustments are not anticipated.

Jesse sent an e-mail to managers and supervisors regarding leave time clarification for holiday leave and funeral leave. This included how time sheets should be completed. The group discussed past practice and how issues would be handled in the future, primarily with exempt employees. Regarding Funeral Leave, the Funeral Leave Policy states, “With the approval of an employee’s immediate supervisor, time to attend the funeral of a friend, co-worker or member of a co-worker’s immediate family may be allowed.” Jesse clarified that the time used to attend a funeral would be personal leave, not Funeral Leave.

Changes to the Friends of the Library Book Sale for 2018

Mary Campbell reported that the Friends of the Library are planning changes to the Friends Book Sale. Instead of one large event held at Ag Hall, they will sponsor four smaller book sales during 2018 that will be held at the Library. The Friends anticipate significant costs savings from this change as well as increasing the movement of the used book inventory. Discussion included the need to develop a plan for the Library facility on book sale days that includes informing the Millennium Café and determining if staffing needs will be different.

2018 book and media sales will be:

January 19-21

March 23-24

July 19-21

October 19-21

Overview of Facilities Master Plan initiatives for 2018

Thad Hartman provided an overview of Facility Master Plan projects planned for 2018. They include Claire’s Courtyard, remodeling of the Circulation Lobby, creation of the Learning Center and paving of the parking lot where the medical arts building stood at 1001 SW Garfield.

The Claire’s Courtyard project is a donor funded initiative that will create more space for the Millennium Café and an outdoor amphitheater. Updated plans are being presented to the Facilities Master Plan committee next week. The committee plans to have a request for proposals ready to send out in February then send the proposal to the Board of Trustees in March for action. Construction would begin in April and the project would be substantially complete by the end of 2018. Funding has been secured for this project.

Discussion centered on programming of the space and working closely with the Café regarding operations and programming.

A request for proposals for the remodeling the Circulation Lobby area will be sent out in August with plans for the Board of Trustees to take action at the September Board meeting. Work on the project will begin in October.

The remaining periodicals have been relocated to the North Reading Room and plans to create the Learning Center are in process. A request for proposals will be sent out in August with plans for the Board of Trustees to take action at the September Board meeting. Work on the project will begin in October.

A conditional use permit request has been sent to the city regarding paving of the space at 1001 SW Garfield where the medical arts building once stood.

Thad reported that checklist will be developed for each these projects.

Staff Development Day 2018 planning

Gina Millsap provided an update on Staff Development Day 2018 planning. It is scheduled for Monday, February 19. A staff planning committee is working on details. The theme of the day is “Stay Curious” and will focus on community impact goals. Pat Wagner will be the keynote speaker. There will not be a KPERS breakout session this year – this will be scheduled at a different time. The planning committee invites others to contribute additional ideas.

Update: Team Rooms

Marie Pyko and Stephanie Hall reported that the Team Rooms are open and being used. They are very popular and have a variety of activities taking place in them. Staff is being helpful getting customers signed in and checking out space. The reservation software should go live tomorrow. Room supplies such as markers and erasers have been ordered. Things are going well.

Update: Roving Model in the Living Room

Marie and Stephanie also provided an update to the roving staff model that has been in effect since Halloween. The stand-up catalogue computers are working well and customers are using them more than in the past. Bibliocommons is being utilized as a self-service model as it was intended. They have responded to staff that have expressed concerns and the staff is beginning to embrace the roving model. The Management Council took some time to discuss their observations about the changes.

Update: Periodicals

Thad Hartman reported that the periodicals have been relocated to the North Reading Room. With that move the quiet areas in the Library have been consolidated. There are a few finishing touches yet to be completed in the North Reading Room.

Update: Learning Organizations

Marie and Thad reported that they will be meeting with a small group to plan the next leadership team meeting.  The December 19 Management Council /Librarian meeting will work on creating a broad Theory of Change outline for the Community Impact Goal “Topeka & Shawnee County will be an engaged community of readers.”  They will plan this meeting and work with facilitators so they can help their groups work through the process using the Theory of Change.

The group was reminded to read the previously sent theory of change documents as they are preparatory materials for the December 19 meeting.

Announcements

  • Kim Torrey reported that the annual audit begins in January.
  • Diana Friend reported that a new I.D. badge is being designed. New photos will be taken.
  • LeAnn Brungardt reported that Youth Services is working on summer programming. She also reported on some property damages in the Edge and they are working on behavior issues with children. There was discussion on this point, the way discipline is handled needs to be addressed. Everyone need to address inappropriate behaviors when they see them.
  • LeAnn reported that smaller collection changes have been made and the DVD areas have been cleaned up.
  • John Kugler reported that Christmas decorations have been put out and we are receiving many compliments on them.
  • Thad Hartman reported that Washburn Rural School District will be a new Library at Work program member.
  • Jesse Maddox thanked the HR and Finance staff members for their work and help with Paycom.
  • Nancy Lindberg reported that staff payroll deduction information is coming in for annual gifts. She encouraged all Management Council members to participate.
  • Mary Campbell reminded the group that Friday, December 8 from 7 – 9 PM the Chandler Booktique will hold a members only Friend Holiday Open House. She also thanked David King and Joey Embers for IT assistance and she thanked John Kugler for help with storage changes in the lower level.
  • Gina Millsap reported that she, upper level administration and the Directors have been meeting to discuss the COO position. She asked the Management Council to think about what the Library needs in a new COO. She hopes that a hire can be made by the end of the second quarter of 2018.Gina also reported that the Board will discuss and approve the Library core values and mission statement at December 21 Board of Trustees meeting.
  • Gina also reported that State Representative Brenda Dietrich invited her to present to the county legislative body next week regarding the Library. She will share the community impact goals and the Library’s focus on early childhood education.
  • Scarlett Fisher-Herreman reported that the final order for professional development requests for this year are due. She also reported that Kay Galbraith is retiring and will be honored at a retirement party on December 13. Technical Service is finishing clean up on the Science and Nature neighborhood.
  • Paul Brennan reported that he will be going to Washburn Rural for a School District/Library initiative meeting to get library cards to SD437students.
  • Marie Pyko reported that the Learn and Play bus is in Paola getting a slide out repaired. The Learn and Play bus staff is piloting “Textedly,” a new texting service to work with families using the Learn and Play bus.

Topics and projects for upcoming meetings

  • Services offered by the Library: Facilitation – Librarian / Management Team
  • Human Resources Training – Jesse Maddox and Felicia Hillebert
  • HTC VIVE, Augmented Reality– David King
  • Programming (December 7)
  • Utilizing data when communicating to staff, board, and public
  • New Data Source – Thad Hartman
  • Invite Library Attorney Chuck Engel – review of Kansas Law (March or April)
  • Manager In Charge – Stephanie Hall (December 14)

Meeting adjourned

There was no additional business to bring before the Management Council and the meeting was adjourned at 3:53PM.

 Next meeting

Thursday, December 7, 2017

2:00-4:00 PM

Marvin Auditorium 101A

John Kugler facilitator

 

Comments are closed.