Management Council notes – February 23, 2017

Management Council notes

February 23, 2017

2:00 – 4:00 PM

Marvin Auditorium 101C

Present: Greg Gaul. Gina Millsap, John Kugler, LeAnn Brungardt, Mary Campbell, Michael Perkins, Marie Pyko, Nancy Lindberg, Paul Brennan, Rob Banks, Ruth Rodden, Scarlett Fisher-Herreman, Stephanie Hall, Sandy Hestand, Stephen Lusk, Sheryl Weller, Thad Hartman, Ted Yungclas

Meeting Purpose: updates on security systems; discussion regarding process for reading and utilizing Fifth Discipline materials

Expected Products: plans and ideas developed for future discussion relating to security; a plan for approaching the reading and process of utilizing Fifth Discipline field book materials

Rob Banks called the February 23, 2017 meeting of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library Management Council to order at 2:00 PM in the Marvin Auditorium room 101C. He reviewed the meeting purpose and provided an overview of the agenda. Minutes from the February 2, 2017 meeting were reviewed and accepted as corrected.

Security Information

Marie Pyko and Greg Gaul led a discussion regarding the Management Council finding time to discuss issues relating to security on a regular basis. Marie was pleased with the training program related to gangs and gang culture and would appreciate more programs of this type. Rob would like to bring officers back for additional sessions.

Brainstorm ideas relating to security:

  • At library closing – what do we do with people (teen agers?) who are still on the property
  • Still have groups of little kids running around after being told to find something to do. Staff needs to be consistent and call security when the kids continue to disrupt.
  • Close the Edge for a little while if behaviors warrant it
  • Review customer conduct policy
  • Clarification of communication flow between security and police. What are officers allowed to do?
  • Retraining of the tools we have and constant checkins
  • Have conversation with Brad and police department attorney to talk with MC about the line between police and library
  • Clarify expectations are from police officers
  • Expectations of Police officers
    • Address roles – where’s the line?
  • Expectations of Managers – as well
  • Who should and should not be in the building
  • Dealing with a customer issue and the discussion handling process
  • When arresting someone – can perp be taken out via the doc entrance? Best practice?
  • Keep us up to date on trends locally
  • How do we handle vulnerable adults and people who are “left here” or need a ride (spin a story)
  • Develop a protocol – if manager is not certain what to do, call head of security, if not available, call COO
  • Handle extreme anger – behavior with parents after incidents
  • Need to develop written procedures that deal with specific situations (late pick-ups)
  • Put information in Library News – raise awareness, help parents begin to understand what expectation is.
  • Minor children being left after library closes
  • Drug use – current trends in illegal drug use
  • Who is authorized to use dock level entrances – add signage that says authorized entrance. Be sure door is closed behind you. Staff training/retraining – education.
  • Standard times for staff entering and leaving. Exceptions can be made but need to be planned for ahead of time
  • Staff leaving through different doors. What is the procedure?
  • Reminder of walk through closing procedures (review – education) for MIC and staff
  • What happens on and off site library property (bookmobile)Regular security briefings will take place at MC meetings.
  • Marie, Greg and Rob will review notes and sort them into similar topics. These will be discussed at upcoming meetings.

Fifth Discipline materials

Gina Millsap led a discussion regarding developing a plan to read and discuss the Fifth Discipline field book. The librarian cohort will also be reading the book as well. Management Council needs to model for the rest of the staff the implementation of ideas and plans outlined in the materials.

Plans include:

  • Determine along the way if a deeper dive needs to be taken into the Fifth Discipline book itself.
  • Develop a preamble to the book and state why we are reading this book. What we are doing and why we are doing this.
  • Identifying key discussion questions we want to bring to the group. How does this apply to us and how do we use the information to become a learning organization.
  • Develop teams – managers/librarians to read “specialize” a specific chapter. Marie will create teams.
  • Curate and create on line site that keeps articles that correlate to the chapters – help support the materials. Scarlett will take the lead with this.
  • Have a reference edition available of the Fifth Discipline – for reference purposes. Everyone will read the materials and each team will take a deep dive into one particular chapter. The teams will develop questions for discussion and the teams will lead the discussion sessions.
  • Develop a schedule and deadlines.
  • Utilize Maureen Sullivan as a guide.

Announcements

  • Sandy Hestand reported that the Bookmobile staff will be using next week for one of their dress down weeks.
  • Thad Hartman reported that the RFP has been sent out for bids on the phase one Facilities Master plan work. Interested contractors will come to the library next week for a walk through of the space and bids are due March 8.
  • Scarlett Fisher-Herreman reported that Lynda.com launches next week. She described how the contract will work. She also updated the group on Treehouse usage and may increase our leased to include 100 seats.
  • Stephanie Hall reported that she has completed interviews for a full time Public Service Specialist.
  • Marie Pyko reported that applications for Highland Park School students are ready.
  • Greg Gaul requested that Managers in Charge carefully check study rooms on both sides. People have been engaging in inappropriate behavior.
  • Nancy Lindberg provided an update on the Foundation’s Saturday night event sponsored by Federal Homeloan Bank and library trivia night. She thanked departments who have been assisting. Proceeds from the event go to the Dolly Parton Imagination Library initiative.
  • Gina Millsap reported that the United Way of Greater Topeka board voted to approve the Memorandum of Understanding for the Dolly Parton Imagination Library at its meeting this morning.
  • Gina also reported that a news conference will be held tomorrow at Deer Creek to announce the DigitalLearn project – a partnership with Cox network, PLA and the library.
  • Gina reported that she will be meeting with Alice Weingarten from Grace Med and will discuss opportunities to collaborate.
  • Rob Banks discussed issues relating to use of power tools in programs. There are concerns with insurability. This will need to be considered as we plan to develop the new Make It lab.
  • Rob will be out March 7-11.
  • Ruth Rodden reported that she went to Federal Homeloan Bank to set up the Library at Work program there. It was a very positive experience. There are now 16 Library at Work sites.
  • Ruth hired two new shelvers.
  • Mary Campbell reported that March 1 is deadline for staff to apply for Friends scholarship awards.
  • LeAnn Brungardt reported that all the new furniture is now in the edge. There is still a bit of small finishing up to do.
  • LeAnn also reported that Youth Services will begin hatching eggs and plans to have chicks by spring break.

Topics and projects for upcoming meetings

  • Update on Fifth Discipline
  • DPIL briefing
  • Discussion to changes to customer conduct policy
  • New Data Sources (March/April) – Thad Hartman
  • Staff Development Day review – Cindy Hohl
  • Services offered by the Library: Facilitation (need a point person for this topic)
  • Determine what community data and initiatives Library needs to consider and participate in as work plans are developed for advancing Community Impact Goals (need point person for this)
  • Invite Library attorney Chuck Engel – review of Kansas Library Law
  • Organizational Excellence
  • Branding update/report

Meeting adjourned

There was no further business for the Management Council and Rob Bank adjourned the meeting at: 3:48PM

Next meeting

March 2, 2017

2:00-4:00 PM Marvin Auditorium 101C

 

Paul Brennan– facilitator

 

Comments are closed.