Management Council notes – June 9, 2016

Management Council notes

June 9, 2016

2:00 – 4:00PM

Menninger room 206

Meeting Purpose: discuss and reach a decision regarding FLSA

Expected Product: decision and communication plan on FLSA

Present: Cindy Hohl, David King, Diana Friend, Greg Gaul, Ivan Johnson, John Kugler, LeAnn Brungardt, Mary Campbell, Marie Pyko, Nancy Lindberg, Paul Brennan, Rob Banks, Sandy Hestand, Sheryl Weller, Stephanie Hall, Stephen Lusk, Ted Yungclas

LeAnn Brungardt called the June 9, 2016 meeting of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library Management Council in the Menninger room 206 to order at 2:00 PM. She reviewed the meeting purpose and agenda. Minutes from the June 2, 2016 meeting were reviewed and accepted as presented.

FLSA Fair Labor Standards Act

Human Resources Director Stephen Lusk called attention to the US Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division Fact Sheet #17A “Exemption for Executive, Administrative, Professional, Computer & Outside Sales Employees Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FSLA)” that had been distributed with meeting materials. Copies were available at the meeting as well.

Discussion regarding positions affected took place.

Stephen reported that next we need to revise some job classification descriptions for the effected positions. There will be upcoming communications from Stephen regarding what is happening and when. Stephen will initiate a policy review – how to manage time/over time/travel time/schedule time. Stephen will work with Diana on the communications aspect to members of management and the staff.

Additional discussion relating to non-exempt employees working outside of scheduled hours took place. David King will explore ideas to see if there are ways to prevent people from logging into email outside of work.

Automatic Renewal of Checked Out Materials

Paul Brennan offered the following updates regarding plans to institute automatic renewals of checked out materials. The change can be initiated at any time. The first due date that will be eligible for auto-renewal will be those items that are due on July 5th, this will allow the library to take advantage of the holiday. Paul also reported that we can expect the number of late returns to go down significantly. Customers will receive text message telling them the status of their account (if an item has been requested or put on hold, it will not be eligible for auto-renewal and will accrue fines if not returned by the due date). People will still be notified every three weeks regarding their accounts as they are currently. After three auto-renewals, fines will begin accruing.

Paul will send a message to the staff regarding automatic renewals

There was additional discussion about kids’ fines.

 ADP upgrade presentation

Rob Banks led a plus/delta discussion regarding the ADP upgrade presentation that was the focus of last week’s meeting. Chart notes follow:

Plus                                                                                        Delta

Issue with e-time resolved with new version                      Does not work on all modern browsers

Sheet indicates it would work in future with                        Doesn’t include ical

browsers

Staff can look at everyone’s schedule – it’s                        Bad presentation

easier than SNAP

Ran faster than SNAP                                                        just “meeting” – no detailed description

Cheaper overall                                                                  Everyone must use it

Single source log in                                                            Paper copy App goes away

Integration – solves some problems                                   Would like to see more of HR stuff

Evaluations

Auto letters

Mobile device and web compatibility

Geofencing

Template works better

Sorting easy

Build common shift with pattern

Customize shifts

Prioritizing rules

Self-service Time and Attendance

Leave approval system

Posts to time card

Shift swap for scheduler

Everyone must use it

Onboarding

recruiting

At the end of the discussion, the Management Council expressed that the advantages outweighed the disadvantages

 

Topics and projects for upcoming meetings

CPR training/MC – Greg Gaul

Organizational Excellence

Cultural Change (How Management Council will work together in the future)

Joint meeting with Librarian Cohort – Lifelong Learning goal (January)

Branding update/report

 

Meeting adjourned

There was no other business to bring before the council and the meeting was adjourned at: 3:30 pm.

Next meeting is scheduled for June 30, 2016, 2:00-4:00PM in Marvin Aud 101A

Mary Campbell – facilitator

 

 

 

Comments are closed.