Management Council notes – July 7, 2016

Management Council notes

July 7, 2016

2:00 – 4:00PM

Marvin Auditorium 101C

Present: David King, Diana Friend, Greg Gaul, John Kugler, LeAnn Brungardt, Mary Campbell, Michael Perkins, Marie Pyko, Nancy Lindberg, Paul Brennan, Rob Banks, Ruth Rodden, Sandy Hestand, Scarlett Fisher-Herreman, Sheryl Weller, Stephanie Hall, Stephen Lusk, Thad Hartman, Ted Yungclas

Meeting Purpose: catch up on pending topics, including FY2017 Budget preparation

Expected Product: understanding components of 2017FY Budget as it will be presented to the Trustees; information on LibStaffer Demo compared to ADP; power outage and emergency contact sheets; Holiday Policy input

Scarlett Fisher-Herreman called the July 7, 2016 meeting of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library Management Council to order at 2:00 PM in the Marvin Auditorium 101C. She reviewed the meeting purpose and agenda. Minutes from the June 30, 2016 meeting were reviewed and accepted as corrected.

Review 2017 Budget:

Chief Financial Officer Sheryl Weller provided an update and summary from the July 6, 2016 Board Budget Work Session and highlighted the changes in the mill levy and explained one time expenditure plans for the FY2017 budget. She informed the Management Council of health insurance changes and confirmed that the library would not become self-insuring.

Sheryl provided an update on the plans for implementing the Facilities Master Plan and how those plans will be budgeted. The budget will be tied to specific projects as they are identified. She shared construction cost ranges and identified funding sources for projects. Thad Hartman updated the group on potential projects and plans for sequencing them. Millennium Café management has been informed of plans and ideas related to the café. The Facilities Master Plan will be presented to the Board at the July 21 meeting for approval.

Sheryl reviewed final budget requests to departments.

Sheryl related that Community Impact Goals have not yet been approved by the Board of Trustees, so there will not be budgeted items included to support them in the FY2017 budget.

Discussion and questions and answers took place during the presentation.

Report from LibStaffer Demo

Rob Banks, Marie Pyko and David King reported on the product demonstration they had with LibStaffer. The product has a different scheduling program that has a number of characteristics that would be helpful to us. Rob liked it. LibStaffer has agreed to set up a two week trial period for us – unfortunately, ADP is not willing to do the same so we will not be able to make a direct comparison. LibStaffer scheduler is able to dump data directly into Outlook. Outlook is not able to dump into LibStaffer scheduler.

Rob, Marie and David have a meeting scheduled with an ADP upgrade client who is willing to provide a candid review of the product. Outside of the scheduling component, the ADP upgrade still looks good.

Discussion about LibStaffer was positive. There will be more information coming.

Power Outage

Greg Gaul distributed updated checklist materials and master telephone number list. There was brief discussion about them. Greg ask that Council members send changes/corrections to him. He will bring the final product to a future meeting with some table top practice activities.

There was a side bar conversation about the new iPhones being used by security, maintenance and digital services.

Holiday Leave

Stephen Lusk distributed a reformatted version of the observed holidays and pay practices for holidays for 2017 that incorporated updates submitted by staff members. He reviewed these changes and updates. Discussion included examples and scenarios.

For the next meeting Stephen will have some broiler plate policies to review.


  • Diana Friend asked the groups’ thoughts about the Library of the Year award. It is glass and is vulnerable to breakage, so as it is moved from department to department, care needs to be given. Circulation, Adult Services, Public Service, and Youth Services would all like to host the award in their department at some point in time. The Award will also be available at upcoming All Staff meetings and Board and Trustee meetings.
  • Diana is also putting together another Library of the Year t-shirt order
  • Nancy Lindberg reported that the Jordan house has sold and very soon the gift from that estate will be complete.
  • Rob Banks reported that we are in the process of putting together Library of the Year celebrations over the next few months. We will host an event for the staff and retirees, another for the public and another for others.
  • Rob reported that he has copies of the Library Journal available to Management Council members.
  • Rob also reported that Harvesters has presented the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library with its 2016 Circle of Hope Award.
  • Rob requested that agenda items for future Management Council meetings be sent to him.
  • LeAnn Brungardt provided summer reading pinpoint numbers – we are down a bit so she asked that everyone cheer lead for this to show support.
  • Scarlett Fisher-Herreman reported that there will be a cleaning out of items stored in the periodicals storage room specifically the shelving area between the copy machine and Red Carpet. She has a group ready to take on the project.
  • David King reported that the Instagram account has been receiving a lot of use and invited everyone to friend it and check it out.
  • David and Greg will invite Joey Embers to come to a future meeting to provide some training for the new security iPhones.

Topics and projects for upcoming meetings

Human Resources/Policy reviewing – Stephen Lusk

iPhone training – Joey Embers (David King)

Security contact information sheets – Greg Gaul

CPR training/MC – Greg Gaul

Organizational Excellence

Cultural Change (How Management Council will work together in the future)

Joint meeting with Librarian Cohort – Lifelong Learning goal (January)

Branding update/report


There was no further business to bring before the Council and the meeting was concluded at 3:00 PM.

Next meeting is scheduled for July 14, 2016, 2:00-4:00PM in Menninger Room 206

Diana Friend – facilitator



Comments are closed.