Management Council notes – July 30, 2015

Management Council notes

July 30, 2015


Marvin Auditorium 101C

Present: Cindy Hohl, David King, Diana Friend, Greg Gaul, LeAnn Petrie, Marie Pyko, Mary Campbell, Nancy Lindberg, Paul Brennan, Rob Banks, Ruth Rodden, Sandy Hestand, Scarlett Fisher-Herreman, Sheryl Weller, Stephanie Hall, Thad Hartman, Ted Yungclas

Call to order: Marie Pyko

Time: 2:00PM

Meeting Purpose: Plan All-Staff meetings and discuss programming

Expected Product: Agenda for All-Staff meeting August 12

The July 30, 2015 meeting of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library Management Council was called to order by facilitator Marie Pyko at 2:00PM in the Marvin Auditorium 101C. Minutes from the July 9 meeting were reviewed for action items. There were no action items identified and minutes were accepted as presented.

Major issues:

All Staff meetings

Marie led discussion for planning the August 12 quarterly All-Staff meetings which will be held at 8:00AM, 3:00PM and 5:00PM in the Marvin Auditorium.

Plan for All-Staff meeting – chart notes

Elements as they fit into the new service model

  • Gina Welcome – who is new.
  • VOIP
  • David K – decision going forward to the board, phones, how it will be used as people are working on the floor. There will be training. Flip charts to record questions
  • Replicate board presentation on new service model (do this first – then VOIP)
  • Architects, plans. Time line (adjust this for changes – updates) have table set up for demonstration. Have this focused toward staff perspective.
  • Q&A
  • Update – DVD dispenser going away
  • Open floor to general comments and concerns

Parts of new service model –

  • Discuss online registration
  • New equipment (tools) – portable computer (lap top, surface table), LEAP
  • Service Point is changing
  • Roving/Roaming/Active style service
  • Portability of the telephone system
  • Call center – phones not ringing on the floor
  • Training – staff: customer service, body language, transition training
  • Training – customer: how they will be able to participate in self service
  • Start page
  • Processes and procedures
  • Continual evaluation of how it is working for customers and staff
  • Do we talk about gains and losses?
  • Policies that support staff in making decisions as they interact with customers on the floor. Empower staff to do this (e.g. Ruth’s staff is doing this already)
  • QUESTION – how will staff be identified as they are working on the floor?

(Ted compiled these notes and sent notes and sent them to Marie who in turn developed the agenda for the quarterly All Staff meetings)

Other new service model discussion took place. Many of the issues have been worked out, but there is more to do. Still need support and input as the project unfolds including:

  • Training and Practice –
  • Making a call verses a customer relationship –
  • Empower staff to make the best decision –
  • How to tell people that everyone makes mistakes – we don’t know the future, we’re not going to get it right all the time –
  • Whenever change is made some thing will be lost –
  • Rob will send out a link about “getting things wrong.”


Updates: Everyone

  • Sheryl Weller reminded the group that the Budget Hearing will be August 13. Budget materials are posted on the website. She asked managers and supervisors to keep her informed if they hear any discussion about the budget.
  • Sandy Hestand reported that this was the last week for the Adventuremobile and the summer food program was completed.
  • Stephanie Hall reported that new carpet installation in the Topeka room is going well. The Topeka Room will be closed from August 3 – 7.
  • Scarlett Fisher-Herreman reported Tech Services is business as usual. They are looking at renewal items.
  • Diana Friend reported that the summer interns working with Communications and Marketing have completed their work. Sarah Seuell will continue doing some work for us. Diana and David are developing an alignment of content plan and they hope to roll this out within the next 35-40 days. She will have it placed on a future Management Council agenda for review.
  • Mary Campbell reported on the July 18 Book Sale and the Media Sale. The Friends earned $1,956 at the Media Sale, $1,105 at the Bag Sale, $1,100 at the Booktique and $8 at the Farmers Market.
  • Greg Gaul provided an update on the recent health and wellness workshops. More will be scheduled. The next one will focus on the need for sleep. Greg also reported that a new officer began today, Jim Moore.
  • Ruth Rodden reported that she has three job searches underway. She will follow up with everyone about the VOIP selection.
  • Rob Banks reported on the month of July numbers for children served by the summer food program. He was pleased with them. He and Doug Petrie are working out details for an after school snack program. These include ideas for utilizing the Edge and/or other locations in the library where younger children can be served. Harvester will reimburse the Library for food expenses.
  • Cindy Hohl reported on online training courses. She asked the group to consider an area of concentration focusing on things not learned at Library School. She is working on the training services analysis.
  • Marie Pyko reported on the July 28 Community Planning Workshop at Sacred Heart Church in Oakland. Ten people attended. There was news coverage. There was great feedback. Judy posed the idea that we host a workshop for Spanish language speakers.

Topics and projects for the next meeting

Looking for dates to host CPR training

Nathan and Shannon –

Show and tell


Meeting adjourned

Business was conclude and meeting adjourned at 2:52PM.


Next meeting is scheduled for August 6, 2015 at 2:00 pm in Marvin 101A

Ruth Rodden – facilitator





Comments are closed.