Management Council notes – August 20, 2015

Management Council notes

August 20, 2015

2:00-4:00PM

Marvin Auditorium 101A

Present: David King, Greg Gaul, Gina Millsap, Ivan Johnson, John Kugler, LeAnn Petrie, Marie Pyko, Mary Campbell, Michael Perkins, Nancy Lindberg, Ruth Rodden, Sandy Hestand, Scarlett Fisher-Herreman, Sheryl Weller, Stephanie Hall, Thad Hartman, Ted Yungclas

Meeting Purpose: Learn about new technology

Expected Product: New understanding on WordPress

The August 20, 2015 meeting of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library Management Council was called to order by facilitator Ruth Rodden at 2:00PM in the Marvin Auditorium 101B. Minutes from the July 30 meeting were reviewed for action items. There were no action items identified and minutes were accepted as presented.

 

Learning Topics

Overdrive Digipalooza 2015 Report

Scarlett Fisher-Herreman and Amber Bonnett reported on the Overdrive Digipalooza 2015 International User Group Conference they attended in Cleveland, Ohio August 5-7, 2015. Approximately 500 people were in attendance. Highlights included:

  • Tour of the Overdrive headquarters
  • Sessions and meeting discussions regarding ebook usage which has increased from 1% – 26% over that last decade, curated bookshelves and collections that can be personalized, and connecting patrons/customers technologically to libraries in new ways.
  • NFC tags were also a topic of discussion.
  • Amber reported that Thunder, a new system will be available at years end.
  • Scarlett delivered a presentation regarding our marketing efforts with Overdrive. The presentation focused on Library News, the Big Read and our work with social media and how we link those together.
  • Scarlett reported that the San Antonio Library made a similar presentation to hers in which they highlighted their use of mobile tablets that can be utilize at multiple sites.
  • Productive round table topics and networking sessions.
  • Featured speakers included Sari Feldman, Cuyahoga County Public Library, New York Times Bestselling Author, Jane Green (Keynote), as well as Overdrive CEO Steve Potash
  • Visit/tour of the Cleveland Public Library
  • Amber shared details about Cleveland Public Library’s Maker Space. (She will share this with Gina to pass along to 712 Innovations)

Scarlett also reported that publishing houses were there and expressed interest in working with libraries. There is so much available to read that people do not have time to go through it all. People really depend on us to help and guide them. There was a focus on people who just want to use digital content.

WordPress formatting options

Nathan Pauley demonstrated some ways to utilize formatting features in the Library’s WordPress program. He offered some examples of how web pages can be presented in a clearer manner utilizing some editing techniques. Nathan showed the group where to find the WordPress documentation in the Digital Branch area and reviewed the editor section for additional functions. His main points included:

  • Make titles short and meaningful
  • Use headings and bold features to set aside and help info stand out.
  • (Avoid using heading level 1)
  • Use bullets.

Nathan also reported that he and Shannon Eddings are working on a new Staff website. They have collected information from staff regarding needs and what would be helpful and supportive for staff. These ideas are being incorporated into the new site.

Decision Item:

VOIP

Ruth Rodden, Michael Perkins, and David King provided updates on the Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) telecommunications system project. We are currently finalizing the contract with JMA and will forward the numbers of phones needed to them. We are still on the projected timeline.

Major issues:

Community Impact Goals

Gina Millsap led discussion and provided information relating to developing additional Community Impact Goals. She is looking for suggestions and ideas for discussion to determine the next goals. Time will be spent at future Management Council meetings to finalize these goals. She will work with Thad to organize them.

 

Updates: Everyone

  • Sandy Hestand reported that there will be meetings this week with KPERS to discuss having their company becoming a new site for Library @ Work.
  • LeAnn Petrie updated the group on the latest “fish stories,” one of the clown fish in the aquarium is producing eggs.
  • The Outreach schedule for September went out and teacher training will begin. 120 people have signed up.
  • David King reported that the final phone orders for the VOIP project will be turned in next week.
  • Gina Millsap reported on the first meeting with Tevis Architects to outline the process for master facilities planning. The initial draft will be delivered by end of year. The final plan will be completed by next summer. Times will be arranged for them to meet with staff for input and information sharing. Representatives from Tevis Architects will come for all staff meeting in November. Thad is facilitating this group.Gina will make a presentation to the Foundation regarding the Dolly Parton Imagination Library which will need sustaining funding. We will need to develop a way to improve the process of documenting the outcome of this initiative. Who might be able to assist with this? KU? There was additional discussion about becoming involved with this project.
  • Gina thanked the group for their assistance with New Trustee Orientation. The new trustees were blown away by the tour. All three mentioned how unique it was. We presented good messages, good community service and strong core values.
  • Gina also reported on the Foundation board meeting where Marie presented on the Early Childhood Bookmoblie. The Foundation will provide funding for the new Bookmobile.
  • Nancy Lindberg thanked Marie for her Foundation Board presentation on the Early Childhood Bookmobile. Board members were curious about how we rank nationally.
  • Nancy also discussed the upcoming September 12 event and thanked everyone in advance for help and support, 800 invitations have been sent. There will be hands on tours of Library departments and there will be opportunity for have Library Card sign ups.
  • Greg Gaul reported that the Fun Committee will hold a staff cookout next week to celebrate the end of summer and completing another successful summer season.
  • Greg also reported that a new 360 degree camera has been installed in Youth Services above the pond between David J’s and the dinosaur.
  • Scarlett Fisher-Herreman reported that Tech Services is business as usual. They are weeding the physical reference collection. Red Carpet is going through the Realia collection cleaning up the puzzles and three dimensional items and updating the packaging.
  • Stephanie Hall reported that we now have staff at 712 Innovations. This service began this week. She is asking staff to be flexible in the beginning of this collaboration so we can learn how this will work. Staff will capture data, information, supplies needs, and feedback from people using 712. Staff will use Basecamp to keep track of time and experiences at 712 Innovations. Staff will be there for 4 hours every 2 weeks.
  • Marie Pyko reported that the Topeka room has a new desk. The microfilm readers are at their end of like and we are moving quickly to purchase new ones. They are expensive. We will be utilizing Baker funds for them. Marie reported that the attendance in the Topeka room has increased and she is pleased with the staff following the process improvement implementation.
  • Thad Hartman followed up on Gina’s reports regarding the meeting with Tevis Architects. More Library department representatives will be added to the Master Facilities Planning Group.
  • Thad also reported that the Bookmobile will begin making stops at the Casey’s General Store at 4441 SE California. This will replace the Berryton stop.

 Topics and projects for the next meeting

 Bringing recommendation from new service model re anchor points

Leann – summer reading

Cindy – programming

  Meeting adjourned

Business was concluded and the meeting adjourned at: 3:42 PM.

 Next meeting is scheduled for August 27, 2015 at 2:00 pm in Marvin 101C

Sheryl Weller – facilitator

 

 

Comments are closed.