Management Council notes – March 5, 2015

Management Council notes
March 5, 2015
2:00-4:00pm
Menninger Room 206

Present:  Cindy Hohl, David King, Diana Friend, Greg Gaul, Gina Millsap, Ivan Johnson, John Kugler, Marie Pyko, Michael Perkins, Nancy Lindberg, Paul Brennan, Rob Banks, Ruth Rodden, Scarlett Fisher-Herreman, Sheryl Weller, Stephanie Hall, Stephen Lusk, Ted Yungclas, Lisa Brien

Meeting Purpose: Learn about the Make It Lab and out of school learning

Expected Product: Understanding of VOIP communication

The March 5, 2015 meeting of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library Management Council was called to order by facilitator Cindy Hohl at 2:00pm in the Menninger meeting room 206. Cindy asked the Council to review minutes from February 26, 2015 for additions, corrections and identification of action items. There were no action items. Minutes were accepted as submitted.

Cindy Hohl provided an overview of the agenda and set time limits for each area of discussion.

Learning

Make-It-lab

Cindy introduced public services librarian Lisa Brien who provided an update on the library’s maker space pilot project the Make-It-Lab. The space opened on December 8, 2014 and is located in the enclosed room on the west side of the New Media room by the TV. She provided attendance and usage statistics and reported that she has scheduled different groups of interested individuals to come see the space. Do-it-yourself books have been ordered to assist customers in their efforts to create and make. Lisa reported that Garage Band is heavily used. Other equipment and software the Make-It-Lab has that people can use includes (equipment): two Apple iMac computers, Alesis Elevate 3 studio monitors for the computers, flatbed scanner, Wacom digital drawing tablet, MakerBot 3D printer and filament, Canon Vixia camcorder, Elgato A/D converter, tripods and video lighting, M-Audio Oxygen 25 USB Keyboard controller, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio interface, Microphones (Audio Technica AT 2020 and Shure SM57 mics), and microphone stands and cables. And software: iLife suite (GarageBand, iMovie), Google Sketchup, and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.). Lisa reported that the staff has embraced the Make-It-Lab and enjoys assisting and working with customers as they develop their projects. The customer demographics are a good mix of different kinds of individuals. Stephanie Hall complimented Lisa for her initiative and taking responsibility for the Make-It-Lab pilot project. Stephanie added that a midpoint evaluation of the pilot will be done this summer so we can determine the future and direction of the makerspace. Some considerations discussed included:

  • The relationship with 712 Innovations. We want our makerspace to complement the one being developed there and vice versa. We are in the process of developing a MOU with 712
  • Development of classes (short term and long term) to teach customers how to use components of the Make-It-Lab.
  • Does the Make-It-Lab continue in its current location – it may need more space. Also it would be beneficial to have the lab in a location where creating projects is viewable by public to generate interest.
  • Have customers share their experiences and tell their stories about time in the Make-It-Lab.
  • KCMO has a mobile lab they take to branches, perhaps we could do something similar
  • Suggestion to consult with Johnson County Library and how their makerspace is evolving

Actions for approval or input

Project matrix

Rob Banks distributed copies of a project matrix he has developed that outlines current, ongoing and future TSCPL projects and went through the sheet with the group. Rob noted that the matrix is incomplete and he wants input from MC regarding additional items, corrections, and updates that need to be included. He also noted that many deadlines and completion dates occur during the first quarter of the year. He encouraged everyone to look at and consider setting deadlines and completion dates at other times during the year. The project matrix is located on basecamp under files.

KU Research Project

Rob Banks reported on a meeting he and Ted Yungclas had with Dr. William Staples, professor of Sociology at the University of Kansas. Dr. Staples is applying for a Digital Trust Foundation grant focusing on Understanding Socioeconomic Status (SES) and Online Privacy and Security and is looking for public libraries to partner with. The Digital Trust Foundation has found that research and analysis of the online privacy experiences of Low SES populations are underrepresented in the public discourse, media coverage, and academic literature. Dr. Staples wants to have advanced sociology graduate students observe and eventually interact with customers regarding their computer use as an initial phase of the study. Rob explained the details of the study and his conversation with the library attorney regarding limits and ramifications of supporting the study. MC discussion included a plus/delta exercise and ultimately the group decided that the library should not participate. Rob agreed to follow up with Dr. Staples.

Gifts-in-kind

As Foundation Executive Director Nancy Lindberg develops the Library Foundation’s first annual report, a section will include reports of various gifts-in-kind relationships between the library and sponsors. Gina Millsap and Sheryl Weller wanted to discuss with the Management Council how different gifts-in-kind agreements have been created and to clarify that gifts-in-kind and other solicitations need to occur through the Foundation. Sheryl has had conversation with our library attorney regarding details and proper procedures for accepting gifts-in-kind relationship and making sure we are doing these correctly. During discussion clarification was made regarding the manner in which different relationships are established. Many gift-in-kind relationships come to the library, we do not always solicit in-kind relationships. More information and discussion regarding gifts-in-kind will take place at future Management Council meetings.

Brainstorming

Internal communication under VOIP

Ruth Rodden wanted to begin discussion regarding how internal communication will take place once the new voice over internet protocol is implemented. We will have fewer radios with the VOIP and internal communications will be different. Items discussed for consideration include: determining how a MIC will be contacted – perhaps MICs carry cordless telephones, determine if an All Call should be included, develop area calling groups (like list serves), have police carry VOIP phone as well as a radio, include a push to talk system (everyone have one – might be able to do additional things). Explore additional options.

It was suggested that everyone read up on VOIP and learn about the features.

Updates: Everyone

  • Michael Perkins provided an update on the network upgrade. Pulling wire is being done now and should be completed by the end of the weekend.
  • Thad Hartman reported that the Alice In Wonderland bookmobile is on schedule for a mid-Aril delivery.
  • Marie Pyko provided a quick update on the Early Childhood Bookmobile and reported that Jessica Hosman, Topeka Rescue Mission and Eleanor Strecker, Childcare Aware have joined the project team.
  • Marie reported that she is the ALA Councilor for Kansas and serves on the Governmental Affairs Committee.  They met with Patrick Vogelsberg from Kearney Associates who is the Kansas Library Association lobbyist who is keeping us up to date on the goings on at the legislature.
  • Stephanie Hall has been updating staff on various upcoming projects including VOIP and remodeling plans. They are excited about what is going on.
  • Rob Banks updated the group on the condition of his dad following surgery. He may be needing some family time away.
  • Gina Millsap reported on an internal staff meeting regarding summer meal programs. We have been approached by the Kansas State Department of Education to partner in this venture. Initial plans include structuring the program as a pilot project and pursue a summer meal program through Lowman Hills Elementary School. Permission still needs to be obtained from 501 for us to move forward with this option. Additional or alternative plans include partnering with Topeka Bible Church. Other ideas include developing a Bookmobiles morning and afternoon snack program that would coincide with the Bookmobile stops. These ideas would be manageable under a pilot program. Gina shared that many libraries throughout Kansas and the country are participating in meal programs for children.
  • Cindy Hohl thanked everyone for their help and support of the 2015 Big Read which wrapped up last week. She acknowledged that the project was a lot of work but it made a great impact on the community.
  • Sheryl Weller and Gina have reviewed Friends funding for the 2015 year, they are under expended for the year.
  • Diana Friend thanked the managers for their support and assistant in facilitating the recent issue of Library News. There were no problems with EMS or Programbook.
  • Nancy Lindberg complimented the nice event dedicating the memorial plaque in the Sabatini Gallery Saturday, February 28. There are photos on the library page.
  • Ivan Johnson announced changes to cleaning schedules for the restrooms during the day.
  • Greg Gaul announced that there is a new security camera in the Make-It-Lab. Also the Topeka Police Department will begin parking a decoy police car in the parking lot.
  • Scarlett Fisher-Herreman announced Cadie Maas plans to be away for maternity leave
  • Scarlett also reported that Beth Nettels and Shannon Eddings are exploring catalog record options for getting our Overdrive ebooks and eaudio into Polaris.  With catalog records in Polaris, customers could see what items are at Overdrive and click on a link to further explore, place a hold on, or download those ebooks and eaudio.  They are still in the investigation phase with this project.
  • Scarlett provided an update on the History Neighborhood. The History Neighborhood is progressing ahead of schedule.  We are to World War II (940.5s).  Kay and Beth are working on a near daily basis with the cataloging and relabeling work.  She invited the group to stop into the 900s and see the progress next time they are in the East Wing.

Topics and projects for the next meeting

Following up on gifts in kind

ILL and how we get customers to pay

Out of school learning

 

The meeting concluded and was adjourned at 3:48pm.

Next meeting is scheduled for March 12, 2015 at 2:00 pm in Menninger Room 206

Ivan Johnson – facilitator

 

 

One thought on “Management Council notes – March 5, 2015

  1. Lissa Staley on said:

    I’m excited to see the library considering summer feeding program partnerships! This topic comes up frequently at health coalition meetings – food insecurity and hunger is a huge issue for quite a few kids in our community. Thanks for sharing this update!