Management Council notes
January 29, 2015
Menninger Room 206
Present: Ivan Johnson, John Kugler, LeAnn Petrie, Nancy Lindberg, Ruth Rodden, Sandy Hestand, Scarlett Fisher-Herreman, Sheryl Weller, Stephanie Hall, Stephen Lusk, Thad Hartman, Ted Yungclas
Call to order: Stephanie Hall
Meeting Purpose: to discuss yesterday’s All Staff meetings and review upcoming Big Read Kickoff
Expected Product: Plus/Delta chart and review of All Staff meetings
Review of minutes from January 22 meeting
The January 28, 2015, meeting of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library Management Council was called to order by facilitator Stephanie Hall at 2:00pm. Stephanie asked the Council to review minutes for additions, corrections and identification of action items. The only action item identified was for the request for programming information to be submitted to Cindy Hohl this week so programming discussions can continue at the Feb. 5 Management Council meeting. Minutes were accepted as submitted
Plus/Delta – All Staff Meeting January 28, 2015
Stephanie led discussion regarding the All Staff meetings from yesterday. Kudos were given to the PowerPoints and graphics. The Council thought the presentations went well but there may have been too much information and/or too many topics presented for one meeting. There were not many questions and there was concern that the large agenda may have created an atmosphere less conducive to Q&A and discussion. There was good interaction with the Polaris 5.0 upgrade and the implementation of LEAP.
All Staff Meetings – January 28, 2015
Plus (+) Delta (Δ)
– PowerPoints succinct with good info – maybe too much info – too many topics
– information people needed to know – not very many questions when thought there
– Opportunity for segue to next All Staff – didn’t make it feel like there was time for questions
meeting- have similar topics and agenda – did staff get what we were saying?
After meeting comments:
One staff member shared with Stephanie after the meeting that some of the topics were scary for her but she felt energized by this and liked the idea of roving and not being tied to a desk.
Big Read Kickoff
Stephanie reminded the Council that the Big Read kicks off on Sunday, February 1 with the Tallgrass Express String Band and we host 30 programs in the next 28 days. The Big Read will be featured on the Feb 5 First Friday Arts Walk. 20 pair of tickets will be given away at selected events for the Big Read finale concert featuring Don Williams at the Topeka Performing Arts Center, Thursday, February 26 at 7:30pm. Tickets will be given away at the following Big Read events: Tallgrass Express Sting Band, Sunday, February 1, 3-4pm; Time and Telling in True Grit, Sunday, February 8, 2-4pm; Cowboy Poetry Gathering, Sunday, February 15, 2-4pm; and the Big Read keynote Sunday, February 22, 2-2:30pm.
All Big Read information is on the Library website. Stephanie asked that managers and supervisors remind their staff to talk up the book True Grit and encourage people to read the book and/or join us for one of the movie showings. Public Services has a dress down week next week and they are being encouraged to dress in True Grit garb or western wear. Nancy Lindberg will be representing the Library at the Warehouse of First Friday, February 5 and will have materials with her to promote the Big Read.
- Forward Program questions responses to Cindy Hohl, she will send a reminder.
- There was discussion related to programming, Stephanie announced that information MUST be entered into Program Book. Some staff members have become very lax in doing this. Cindy is working hard to coordinate programming related planning and events. We need to support her efforts. We are going to be strict about programming data being entered into Program Book. If at program is not in Program Book, the program will not happen.
- February 13 is the extended deadline for Program information for the June/July issue of Library News to be submitted to Marketing. Diana Friend will send a message regarding this.
- If a staff member needs assistance in learning how to use Program Book they should contact Kate Hughes or Shari Schawo in Event Resources and schedule a time for training.
- A reminder to staff members to turn in data for reports in a timely manner for Board packets
- January evaluation materials have been put on the L drive
- 2015 evaluation materials are available
- Reminder that at the Feb. 12 Management Council meeting we will review the Aspen Institute’s Rising to the Challenge: Re-Envisioning Public Libraries. So managers and supervisors have a couple more weeks to finish reading the article.
Future Agenda Items – All
- Programs – follow up to Cindy’s questions
- Programs – additional conversations about programming, what are our expectations, how do we evaluate – Stephen Lusk
- Rising to the Challenge, February 12.
Business was concluded and the meeting was adjourned at 2:17p.m.
Next meeting is scheduled for February 5, 2015 at 2:00 pm in Menninger Room 206
Thad Hartman– facilitator