Management Council notes – July 10, 2014

Management Council

Meeting Minutes – July 10, 2014

3:00-5:00 pm

Marvin Auditorium

Present:  Greg Gaul, Sheryl Weller, Thad Hartman, Paul Brennan, John Kugler, Marie Pyko, David King, Nancy Lindberg, Ted Yungclas, Rob Banks, Stephen Lusk, Ruth Rodden, Diana Friend, Nancy Overmyer, LeAnn Petrie

LeAnn Petrie called the meeting to order at 3:09 pm and asked for a review of the June 18, 2014 minutes. Thad Hartman made a motion to accept the minutes as written which was seconded by Diana Friend. There was no discussion and the minutes were approved.

LeAnn and Sheryl led discussion regarding purchasing and time keeping issues.

Purchasing – the current Black Mountain purchasing process works when used correctly. Recent problems have arisen due to timing issues and lack of advance planning particularly for certain programs. Further, there are instances when invoices are received in the finance office before a requisition has been approved and a Purchase Order has been created. Except for emergencies, no orders or service calls should be placed before a Purchase Order is created. Deadlines for getting supplies are getting shorter and this causes problems for staff who shop. Also small dollar expenditures are increasing. Other issues that need to be addressed include utilizing the sales tax exemption form (sometimes does not work for cash transactions), having to reimburse mileage for travel for employees using their own vehicles to shop (Library insurance does not apply to damage to a personal vehicle, even when the employee is on Library business), the option to request petty cash or check out a library credit card instead of an employee purchasing with personal funds and requesting reimbursement (often sales tax is charged and the employee cannot be reimbursed for it), and not using vendors with whom the Library has an account or credit card. Receiving orders and items presents challenges as well; controls for purchasing do not allow the same individual to place the order, shop for items, and receive distribute the order. It may be cheaper and likely much more efficient for Finance to place an online order and avoid the staff time to shop, prepare and process mileage or purchase reimbursement requests, the separation of duty issues, etc.

It is understood that occasionally something will come up to create an emergency, but not all last minute or late requests can be emergencies.

The central craft area should be a big help resolving many of these issues/concerns and everyone in encouraged to “shop” there before requisitioning something else. People are encouraged to develop programs that use materials the Library has in the central craft area and to order materials from vendors with whom the library has an account or credit card. If a specific name brand item is called for to complete a specific project, a note should be placed in the comment area on the requisition form when the order is placed.

Ideally, requisitions should be submitted 3-4 weeks in advance. If the purchase is part of an annual program or event, or is an ongoing cost like support/maintenance contracts, requisitions should be submitted towards the beginning of the year so a more accurate budget-to-actual accounting is available.

Notes and comments – Youth Services do not cap programs so do not know from project to project the number of participants they will have. The cost per person per event is reasonable but staff time and costs are high.

Time Keeping – (repeat issues). Stephen and Sheryl led discussion regarding a number of issues related to employee time keeping and how various leaves are to be recorded.

  • Review the timecard prior to the due date before final approval (if an employee does not have 80 hours, it affects leave accrual). The time keeping system reduces the leave accrual earned in the pay period when 80 hours is not met.
  • Using the comment feature was encouraged, e.g. if a person takes a funeral leave, denote the relationship.
  • Sick leave needs to be used for that purpose. Vacation can be used for illness once sick leave has been exhausted, but sick leave may not be taken when vacation hours have been exhausted. If vacation leave is insufficient, the employee will be on leave without pay for hours short of 80 for the pay period.
  • The possibility of the need for FMLA must be discussed after three days of illness or a hospital admittance, per regulation. HR initiates FMLA paperwork so be aware that employees may need to follow through with Dr. notes, etc. If there are questions speak to Stephen Lusk.
  • Supervisors/managers may request a Dr. note at any time during an employee illness – it does not need to be after three days.
  • Hourly employees need to log 40 hours per week during the two-week pay cycle totaling 80 hours, i.e. logging 39½ hours one week and 40½ hours the other week will not work and will require payment for time in excess of 40 hours and use of leave for time below 40 hours. If an hourly employee works more than 40 hours per week, they will be paid at the overtime rate. If an hourly employee has paid hours in excess of 40, but has taken any leave hours during the workweek, they will be paid at the straight time rate for extra hours worked.

Example 1: A nonexempt employee works 42 hours from Monday through Sunday. 2 hours will be paid at the overtime rate and 40 at the regular rate of pay.

Example 2: A nonexempt employee who is usually scheduled for 40 hours Monday through Fridays works two hours extra on Tuesday and takes a half-day of sick leave on Thursday will be paid for 38 hours at the regular rate and four hours of sick leave at the regular rate. (In this example, the employee may choose to reduce the amount of sick leave used up to 2 hours.)

  • Exempt employees recording time for travel and conferences should have actual start and end times by day entered by the supervisor. Another option is to use the Regular pay code and enter the number of hours. Record in the comment section that this is a travel day e.g. “working off site”.
  • If you are a manager/supervisor responsible for approving employees’ time cards, plan ahead for an alternate approver if you will be out of the office. Ideally, this should be a manager/supervisor in the same chain of command. If no one is available, ask Stephen Lusk to do the approvals.
  • Regarding holiday pay or holiday leave hours, an employee must have paid hours on the scheduled days preceding and following the holiday. The system uses the schedule and the presence or absence of hours to determine whether holiday hours may be paid.

Sheryl provided a budget update and reported on the recent Board of Trustee budget work session. Gina highlighted the Board’s pleasure with Sheryl’s work and planning for next year’s budget. Highlights of the report included:

  • A flat mill levy and explanation to the Board about one time monies (used for one-time projects and expenses). One time projects include purchase of new dispensers, both for placement in the community and to possibly replace the DVD dispenser at Main, $100,000 set aside for Bookmobile 3, and a pilot program to send Library News to non-library-cardholder households. The VOIP telephone system update was delayed due to possible qualification for e-rate reimbursement and related deadlines. There is a $200,000 placeholder for this project in the next budget that was available for other projects since cash will be carried forward to fund VOIP in 2015.
  • New health insurance plans will include more choices including a high deductible option and the ability to set up individual health savings accounts. Extensive employee communication is forthcoming. The health plan design and funding methods are complex and the executive team is still reviewing options including possibly becoming self-insured. It is not clear that this would be better for an organization of the Library’s size.
  • In the near future, the Board will look at the post-retirement healthcare benefit. It is clear that their current intent is that, by 2016, retirees will not be in the plan if they are 65 years of age or older. The executive team will be making a recommendation in 2015 and education sessions will be planned for those currently receiving post-retirement health care through the Library plan and those planning on retirement.
  • A Library-wide compensation study is being discussed for 2016. Merit pay increases are budgeted the same as in past years; up to 3% percent based on performance.

Sheryl recommended that Management Council members refer to the TSCPL Budget Summary Comparison Key from the Board Budget Workshop Session #2 – July 7, 2014 as a resource if they are asked about the Library’s expenditures and tax funding.

  • Expenditure authority in 2015 is proposed to increase by 4.8% but is funded by one-time monies and not from raising the mill levy. Health insurance rates did not increase as projected and favorable claims experience resulted in a carrier refund, neither of which the Library planned on receiving. It is not a best practice to lower the mill rate for one year due to one-time windfalls, and then need to increase it the next year to return to previous funding levels.
  • The annual budget hearing will be August 14, 5:30 p.m. in the Marvin Auditorium.

The question was raised regarding merit pay percentage increase and would the Library be returning to the maximum 6% level. Gina explained that other governmental employers in the community are not granting this level of raises. These percentages were used when inflation was higher in order to keep the compensation plan at market levels.

Rob distributed a handout regarding circulation stats. These go to the Board of Trustees. Rob wanted to make the Management Council aware that as we move forward to define community impact goals, we need to review what we do now, and see how current activities align with our goals that will be in place by February 2015. Some data collection will change, other will remain the same. There are data that the Library must continue to collect to assist professional organizations with their data reports. One example on which to focus includes future data collection on the plan to support the every child’s readiness for kindergarten initiative – what do our stats tell us about how we are supporting our efforts in achieving our goals in this area? What do we need to do to obtain the information we need to report to the Board? Rob is looking for mechanisms that can assist us with collecting and tracking these new initiative and goals. The Public Library Association is looking for a way to develop a program to assist in management reports related to circulation.

Gina expressed the need for the Library to determine what it means for our future as we look at programming and developing a strategic plan. These strategies need to be measured as to how they affect the community over time and if they have a lasting impact.

David King presented a PowerPoint and talked about Mobile Technology Trends. The discussion covered a wide array of current topics including the possibilities of promoting our own WiFI inside and outside of the building, increasing availability of charging stations in the Library, developing a way to check out WiFi charging equipment, developing Library Apps for downloads, developing ways to check out the internet, acquire MiFi, check out Library Boxes, and making WiFi available at events, such as the Farmers Market.

 

Follow up discussion included plans and need for more broadband access, increased collaborations with schools, determining what is possible with rapidly changing and adapting technology, moving of Apps to television and computers for viewing, and anticipation of more texting.

Other –

Paul Brennan reported that the self-check numbers for June at the Kiosks were at 98.3% with 50% taking place at the Circulation Lobby and just under 50% taking place at other locations. Youth Services had slightly more check-outs at their two kiosks than expected.

Due to time constraints there were no Around the Table updates.

Additional Agenda items –

Rob – update on SNAAP scheduling, we go live on October 1. He will follow up with and e-mail to the group.

Meeting was adjourned at 4:56 pm.

Next meeting will be Thursday, July 24, 2014 from 2:00-4:00 pm

 

 

Comments are closed.