Management Council – May 29, 2008

Management Council Minutes

May 29, 2008

Present

Gina Millsap, Rob Banks, David King, Donna Tryon, Stephanie Hall, Diana Friend, Greg Gaul, Paul Brennan, Stephen Lusk, Susan Marchant, Ruth Rodden, Ann Newell, Thad Hartman, Suzanne Bundy, John Kugler, LeAnn Sevy, Michael Perkins, Brad Allen, Nancy Overmyer, Sherry Best & Cathy Cook (recording secretary)

Absent: Nancy Watkins, Jim McHenry & Marie Pyko

Announcements

Diana Friend

  • New improved directional signage in administration helps when getting off the elevator to know which direction to meeting rooms, etc.
  • Vinyl lettering will be installed over the book drop area
  • New lettering will be installed in the Topeka Room, main hallway, (new?) books area, music & movie room areas

David King

  • We will be getting a new email exchange server in the next month or so (Microsoft 2007)
  • Windows VISTA at TSCPL is currently in the testing process
  • VISTA will be installed for staff by end of year

Ann Newell – Observation

  • Because of higher gas prices, customers at Hunters Ridge are utilizing Bookmobiles instead of driving to the main library

Michael Perkins

  • New webmail changes to the URL: http will change to https
  • The screen will have some changes

Stephen Lusk

  • Monday from 3:30-5:00 in the Menninger room an open department reception will be held for Tracy Seitz who is moving out of state & Felicia Hillebert who is the new HR Professional

Brad Allen

  • Fifteen minute computers are now gone in the public areas
  • SAM will launch in the study rooms next week

LeAnn Sevy

  • Headphones in the preschool computer room keep breaking
  • We need to purchase more headphones or come up with a better solution for the acoustics

Project Status Reports

Greg Gaul & John Kugler

  • Aquarium has arrived, it weighs 1,100 pounds
  • Cathy Johannes will start working on the aquarium next Monday
  • Relocating two sprinkler heads in the teen activity center

Donna Tryon

  • Charter for next Staff Development Day

Rob Banks

Staff coverage for maternity leave

  • Rob met with Stephanie Hall, Ruth Rodden & Sherry Best to try to determine the best way to provide coverage for three staff members who will be out on maternity leave at about the same time
  • For the short term, we may need to adjust schedules and move people from other departments to fill in
  • Looking at the long term, we are checking into purchasing scheduling software to help solve coverage issues

Gina Millsap

Community Planning Activities

  • June 4th 8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. in the Anton room, management council members, facilitators & recorders for the workshop will meet with Marc Futterman
  • June 4th from 12:00-1:30 p.m. in the Anton room we will participate in a ULC audio conference called “Scenario Planning: learning to think in the future tense”
  • June 4th from 2:00-5:00 p.m. will spend time with Marc driving around the community looking at the areas of the county, where the biggest shifts in population have occurred
  • June 5th 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Community Planning Workshop in the Auditorium
  • June 6th 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. debriefing in the Auditorium rooms 101 A&B with Marc Futterman, management council, facilitators and recorders to talk about what is next
  • On June 5th we will be addressing the perception vs. what data says
    The Big Question-initiate improvements (questions from all staff meetings)

All Staff Meetings

  • We will look at two or three strategies for improvements from the all staff meetings & comments
  • Staff expressed concerns that questions regarding management council meetings/minutes posted on News2Use blog are not responded to in a timely manner

Solutions

  • Michael Perkins has posted on the staff web page under the manager in charge page who is responsible for answering the blog questions on a particular week regarding management council meeting minutes, so that you know who to contact
  • Can Digital Services automatically subscribe all staff members to News2Use, so they receive the current postings?
  • Managers & supervisors, if you aren’t currently doing so, make it a regular practice to convey to staff during staff meetings, what is going on during management council meetings and give your interpretation on decision-making during those meetings. (more face to face time) Encourage staff to ask questions.
  • Review with staff the questions that were submitted for the all staff meetings “Tell us what is going to work for you”
  • In four weeks we will revisit this issue with recommendations from staff of ways to improve communication
  • Request a status report from managers and supervisors about changes/strategies for improvements

Suggestion

  • Take the most recent management council minutes that are posted to staff meetings for review – Brad Allen

Comments are closed.