For the last several months a team of library staff members have been developing a plan to refresh the design and purpose of the New / Media room. This is the space where we currently have the bulk of our adult public computers, New Books, DVDs, and Music CDs.
One of the benefits of the creation of the Level 2 Tech Center is that we will be able to move the computers out of this space. This will help in our efforts to better define the New / Media space and not have so many disparate activities going on in the same place. This team has been focused on defining the purpose of this space, how it compliments and flows into other spaces, and working with the architects to create an updated layout to serve this purpose.
In order to do this, we also looked at the surrounding areas and how these spaces flow together. The Wings were the main area that impacted the New / Media space. We identified the following issues:
New Books / Computers / Movies / Music
- Several competing activities going on in one area
- No clear focus
- Chaotic for customers and staff
- New Books separated from the rest of the book collection
- Shelving cannot be moved or reduced, thus severely limiting improvement options
- Flooring in bad shape
- Interfiling nonfiction DVDs with nonfiction books might not be logical for many customers
The team discussed many options and looked at pros and cons of each. Ultimately, we decided to focus the current New / Media space on movies, music, and casual seating and focus the wings on reading. This led to the following changes:
- New Books collection will move from the current location and into the current Teamwork Center
- Nonfiction DVDs will move from the current location into the current New / Media room
- Tables and chairs will be removed from Teamwork area and new tables and chairs will be added into the New / Media room.
With these changes in mind, below is a diagram of the updated New / Media layout:
Features of Updated New / Media
- New furniture, similar to what is in Level 2 Tech Center
- Extended café flooring into back portion of the room where the majority of the seating will be located
- New shelving and space for all our DVD, NF DVD, Blu-ray, and music CD collections
- Lower shelving in the middle of the room for better sightlines
- Portions of shelving that will allow for better display of DVD covers
- We are planning on calling the space “Movies and Music Lounge” once all of the changes are implemented
Next Steps and Timeline
- Early August 2022 – RFP posted to prospective bidders for new furniture, shelving, and flooring in New Media.
- August 15, 2022 – Level 2 Tech Center Opens / public computers removed from current New Media room (public computers will remain in pass throughs and wings)
- September 15, 2022 – Bids for new furniture, shelving, and flooring taken to board of trustees meeting. If bids are approved by board, contracts signed with selected vendors within the next week.
- Last quarter of 2022 – New furniture, flooring, and shelving arrives and is installed. New Books moves into current Teamwork Center. Exact dates on all these items are unknown at this time and will be unknown until bids are received and contracts signed. With the current supply chain issues, it is difficult to determine how long we will need to wait until all of these items are ready. More than likely nothing will happen until October at the earliest. Things could be pushed back into 2023 if anything is delayed or if bids are not approved at the September board meeting. As we get closer to these dates, have specific vendors identified, and a specific timeline, we will let everyone know.
Obviously there are still a lot of details to be worked out, but the concept and design are in place. We will provide updates as details emerge, especially as they relate to collections. We will also provide more information at the next All Staff Meeting. Work will begin on developing an updated design details for the Wings in the near future.
A big thanks goes out to the team that worked on this. They are Angie Reed, Autumn Friedli, Debbie Stanton, Jared Last, Julie Nelson, Miranda Ericsson, Perry Hartmann, Scarlett Fisher-Herreman, and TJ Troughton. Thank you all for your hard work!!