We’ve begun offering in-person Topeka Room appointments. These work similarly to how Notary appointments are working — the customer will sign up for an appointment through our LibCal scheduling software. We can also help them set up an appointment over the phone or through chat. There are handouts at the Greeter and Customer Service Desks showing customers how to book their appointment.
How Will It Work?
- The customer can book a 90 minute appointment in the Topeka Room to use the physical collections in that space.
- They’ll be expected to independently use the space as there won’t be in-person instruction or assistance given.
- They’ll have access to a microfilm reader and the copier during their appointment time.
- All appointments are going through Donna Rae Pearson and Sherri Camp at this time. They (or one of their team members) will arrange to meet the customer in the rotunda to escort them to the Topeka Room. The staff member will stay at the Topeka Room desk while the customer uses collections at a table or in the “Tech Chapel.”
How to Sign Customers Up Over the Phone:
Some customers may need assistance booking an appointment.
- Access the Scheduling link from either the Local History or the Genealogy home page (it’s the same link, so either works).
- Select the blue Schedule Appointment button and a pop-up window will appear.
- From the drop-down choose either Genealogy or Local History along with the matching radio button at the bottom.
- Select the date/time that works for the customer.
- There will be a series of questions that are different depending on if they’re using the local history or the genealogy collections. Ask the customer the questions that come up and fill out the form for them.
- Enter the customer’s name and email. A confirmation email will be send to the customer’s email address right away. If the customer doesn’t have an email address enter email@example.com and make sure you include another contact method.