As a library we put considerable resouces and energy toward SummerFest each year. Why do we push ourselves to get people of every age reading?
Babies & Toddlers
- From 0-3 the brain grows from being 25% wired to 90% wired
- Interacting with a baby is how successful wiring happens. Babies need to feel safe and loved. Our program encourages parents to spend time with their baby.
- Reading with a baby is a simple way to bond.
- Our program incorporates more than reading. It also includes several actions that encourage growth and development… singing, playing, talking, and writing.
- Every skill takes practice… reading included
- Part of our strategic plan is to help kids to be ready for and successful in school
- Practicing reading through summer months helps kids to maintain their reading level and arrive at school in fall in the same or better place
- Not reading in summer has a cumulative negative effect on reading level
Teens & Adults
- Life-long learners read
- Reading keeps the mind active
- It is a great way to pick up a new hobby or relax
- It is always good to model good habits like reading to children
- A reading community is a learning community