Here is your opportunity to work in a fun, engaging information-based setting where you get to spark customer’s curiosity and connect them to our community through literacy and learning. We are looking for a self-motivated, quick thinking, assertive, technologically savvy individual who has excellent customer service skills and can interact positively with customers. In addition to helping customers find the information they need, you would have the opportunity to create learning experiences that introduce customers to new experiences and ideas or help them grow/develop their current interests/hobbies. We are looking for an individual who has:
- a commitment to excellent customer service and experience working with a diverse community
- the ability to effectively communicate with others
- a sincere interest in current information and communication technologies like social networking website and making connections with our customers online
- the desire to promote the services and collections of our library to the community
The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library is a library committed to doing what matters most to our community, connecting our citizens with the information they want and need to live their best life.
SCHEDULE: Full time including days; evening and weekend hours are required.
DUTIES: Assist with performance of interlibrary loan tasks which includes lending materials to other libraries and borrowing materials for our customers from other libraries. Provide information and materials to the public including assistance in locating library materials, information, and use of equipment throughout the Public Service areas and at outreach locations throughout the community. Exhibit knowledge of the collections, including print and electronic resources, and keep up on the scope and trends of all library collections in order to meet the needs of customers. Demonstrate proficiency using latest information and communication technologies. Remain aware of the needs of the public in terms of recommendations to the maintenance and development of the collections including shelf-reading and straightening collections routinely.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS/PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university plus two years of applicable customer service experience or equivalent combination of education and experience as determined relevant by the Library
- Obtaining and maintaining a State of Kansas notary
- Good organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to perform detailed work with accuracy
- Excellent computer skills with software applications in use on staff and public computers, computer and printer troubleshooting, and internet search techniques
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so one gets along with and works cooperatively with customers, volunteers, community partners, colleagues and supervisors
- Previous library experience
- Experience with team building
- Knowledge of collection development principles and practices
Other requirements: This medium work position requires bending, lifting/carrying at least 20 pounds, ability to exert 20-50 pounds of force when pushing/pulling materials, reaching, and the ability to climb stairs, talking on the telephone, basic computer knowledge and stationary work at a computer terminal. A pre-employment drug screen, a criminal history record check, and physical capacity testing are required as a condition of employment.
PAY AND BENEFITS: Beginning range starts at $17.80 per hour. Excellent benefits available include health insurance, dental insurance, KPERS retirement, flexible spending plans, group life, and long term disability insurance. Other optional benefits available at employee’s expense include life and cancer insurance and a deferred compensation plan.
CLOSING DATE: Applications accepted through Friday, June 28, 2019.
HOW TO APPLY: A completed and signed job application is required for consideration. Application forms are available online at www.tscpl.org, or in the Library at the Customer Service Desk or in Human Resources.
Application materials may be mailed, handed in, faxed, or emailed.
Completed and signed application materials can be mailed to:
Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library
1515 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66604
Application materials may be handed in at the Human Resources Office on the second floor of the library. Human Resource office hours are M-F 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. If the HR office is not open, applications may be dropped off at the Customer Service Desk.
Application materials may be faxed to 785-580-4496.
Application materials may be emailed to email@example.com. Please put the title of the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
For more information, please contact Human Resources at: 785-580-4492 or send e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org