Youth Services Specialist
Here is your opportunity to work with children in a fun, engaging information-based setting. Ignite their curiosity and creativity. Connect them to information and community resources. We are looking for someone with excellent customer service skills who can interact positively with kids as well as their adults. We are looking for a self-motivated, quick thinking, assertive, technologically savvy individual with library and/or education experience. The ideal candidate would engage customers throughout the service space, connect customers to a variety of information formats, and be familiar with kid culture and child development. Must be able to work independently, cooperatively and collaboratively.
Position summary: A full time Youth Service Specialist assists customers in locating information and entertainment through print, DVD, and technological resources; develops and implements learning experiences and programs for kids birth to 18 and their caregivers; creates digital content for online resources; demonstrates continuous learning and operates in a fast paced work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Prefer a degree in education or related field
- Previous library experience preferred
- Previous customer service experience with dedication to quality
- Knowledge of reader’s advisory, reference techniques, and child through young adult literature
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to perform detailed work with accuracy
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office software applications, internet searches and social media
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently, be flexible and adapt to a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to obtain CDL within 1 year of hire date preferred
- Spanish and English language skills preferred
Other requirements: This position requires working knowledge of library technology including but not limited to computers, copiers, digital cameras, and audio/visual equipment. The work area may contain book dust, molds, mildew and insects. This position requires manual dexterity, bending, lifting /carrying at least 20 pounds, pushing/pulling materials weighing at least 20 pounds, reaching, the ability to climb stairs, talking on the telephone and stationary work at a computer terminal. This position exists in a shared office environment with a need for cooperative interaction in many different circumstances. Prompt arrival and efficient, dependable maintenance of scheduled hours is a necessity. Evening and weekend hours are required. A pre-and/or post-employment drug screen, a criminal history record check and physical capacity testing are required as a condition of employment. A negative TB screen is required annually.
Schedule: Full time, 40 hours per week. Includes day, evening and weekend hours.
Compensation: Beginning range starts at $15.35 per hour. Excellent benefits available include health insurance, dental insurance, KPERS retirement, flexible spending plans, group life, and long term disability insurance. Other optional benefits available at employee’s expense include life and cancer insurance and a deferred compensation plan.
Closing date: Friday, January 19, 2018
To apply: Submit applications to Human Resources Department, Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library.
- Hand deliver to TSCPL Human Resources. Office hours are 9:00am to 4:30pm.
- By mail: 1515 SW 10th Avenue, Topeka, Kansas 66604
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 785-580-4496
A completed and signed TSCPL job application is required for consideration.