***UPDATE*** We have extended the Submission date to Sunday July 26. With the reopening of the library, I know my own art making has taken a backseat, so now that we all have more time, PLEASE submit a piece for this show! There are so many talented people on staff.
Art has the wonderful power to heal and help us express ourselves during time of strife and uncertainty. As we get ready to come out of our shelters from Covid-19 restrictions, we want to know what you did to “survive” during this time.
This will be an exhibit about all we did during the last 64+ days as well as show our unique personalities.
We want it to feel like a big warm hug. Let’s show off our skills, our crafts, our family adventures, our photos, poems, plays, music, dance — all our art in its many forms.
- Did you and your kids (or fur babies) do a fun activity and capture it? Share it in this exhibit.
- Did you write a piece of prose or compose a piece of music? We want to have you perform, record or video it.
- Did you paint, print, weave, stitch, draw or create something? We want to display it in it the gallery.
- Do you have images of what your life was like during this time? Share them with us.
- Did you make signs for your neighbors or essential workers? Let us share them too.
- Did you make face masks with personality, trying to bring some light into the difficult situation? Let’s see them too.
This is an exhibit that shows off the awesomeness of the TSCPL staff to stay strong and resilient during this time.
- 2-D work needs to be framed or ready to hang, no saw tooth hangers accepted and no larger then 96″ x 96″
- 3-D work needs to be no more then 50 lbs and have a footprint no larger then 34″ x 34″
- Exception: Any piece over 96” x 96” or 50 lbs will only be accepted if the artist is able to install the work between September 21-25, 2020.
- Theatrical, dance or musical performance needs to be submitted digitally and be no more than 5 minutes in length.
- We will work with staff to have a live performance of their work if they choose
- Literary works need to be no longer than 200 words.
- If the piece is longer, an adaptation needs to be submitted for display purposes
Sunday July 26, 2020 – entries will be submitted via a staff page web form:
Staff Art SubmissionSubmit art to be included in the 2020 Exhibit Humans of the Library.
Objects Delivered to the Gallery:
Week of August 30 – September 6, 2020
September 25 – November 29, 2020
Conditions of Acceptance
- Accepted works may not be removed from the exhibition before November 29, 2020.
- The Sabatini Gallery reserves the right to photograph and reproduce any submitted work for publicity or educational purposes. The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library will retain submitted images of accepted entries as part of its permanent records.
- The Sabatini Gallery encourages potential buyers to contact the artist directly. Neither the Alice C. Sabatini Gallery nor the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library receive any commission on sales.
Return of Work
- Work must be picked up between November 30 – December 6, 2020. The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library will not insure nor be responsible for any works left after December 6, 2020.
- All accepted entries are covered by the Sabatini Gallery’s insurance while on site untilNovember 9, 2018. The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library will not insure nor be responsible for any works left after December 7, 2020.