Staff Schedules/Assignments and Lunch spaces- response to C-19

This is a follow up on how we will organize to best meet our service needs and also maintain social distancing for all of us.

November 16, 2020- January 3, 2021

Just a reminder here are the building hours:
Monday-Friday- 9:00-7:00
Saturday- 9:00-6:00
Sunday 12:00-6:00

Service and Space Changes

• The meeting rooms will not be open to the public.  All programs and meetings that are in person will be cancelled during this time. If feasible library  programs and meetings will be moved to a virtual event.
  • The Team Rooms will be for a one person use only. (no exceptions) They will still be booked with the Teamwork Center person for up to 2 hours.
  • All tables will be set up to accommodate only one person (no groups).
  • At this time we are not limiting time at the tables for customers.

The following services will continue:
Customer Service DesK
Curbside Pick Up
Computer Use (2 hours)
Browsing and Check out in library
Browsing Just 4 U
TSCPL@Home
Red Carpet Deliveries
Call Center & LibAnswers- open hours weekdays 9-9, Saturday 9-6, Sunday 12-9
Virtual Programs
Notary Service (regular hours)- moved to the corner of the Large Print room
Grab and Go Snack

Scheduling and Procedures

All staff will continue to work their standard 40 or 20 hours.  Your supervisor is currently working on the hours you will work, the schedule and the assignments.  We are dividing the work areas into “pods” so you won’t be working in all areas of the library at this time.   The day shift will continue to be either 8:00 or 8:30-5:00 or 5:30.  The evening shifts may be a little different.  Each department will be working on the evening schedules and will share them with their teams.

This will help with scheduling as well as reducing the number of different staff you will work with each day.

Additionally, supervisors are reviewing what work can be accomplished from home.  If you are asked to work some hours from home a new Temporary Telecommuting Agreement will need to be filled out.  Supervisors will be working on that as well.

Other duties and tasks

If you are not assigned to the service floor tasks, you will be assigned specific tasks including:

• Shelf Reading
  • Shelving
  • Virtual programs
    Training- Kristin has developed several trainings which can be done individually.  The full list will be sent to all supervisors.
  • Specific goal work projects
  • Planning Meetings- all meetings with either occur on Teams or Zoom.  We will not have any face to face meetings during this time.

Lunches
We know that it is often hard to social distance and also eat lunch during your meal time.

The following rooms can be used for lunches:

• Hughes (2 people)
  • Perkins (2 people)
  • Marvin 101B (2 people)
  • Marvin 101C (2 people)
  • Break room (2 people)
  • Public Services conference room (2 people)
  • Scarlett’s former office – only 1 person
  • Bookmobile conference room (2 people)
  • Bookmobile breakroom (2 people)

Cleaning supplies will be available in each of these spaces and staff are expected to clean up their space after eating.

Please add any questions or concerns here.  Also feel free to talk with your supervisors.

Thanks

Marie and the COVID 19 Team

18 thoughts on “Staff Schedules/Assignments and Lunch spaces- response to C-19

1. Sherry Best on said:

Three questions:
    1. Will the gallery and Topeka Room stay open and accessible? Any change in the limit of the number of people in these spaces?
    2. Are we making any space available for families who need internet access for school, or do we advise people to use the parking lot Wifi?
    3. Will Marvin A still be available for people who claim they have a medical need to not wear a mask?

2. Marie Pyko on said:

The Gallery and Topeka room will remain open and follow the same hours as the rest of the library.
    Due to the current SCHD health order we are not allowing groups to be at tables and the Team Rooms are only for one person. This includes families.
    Yes we are keeping Marvin 101A to accommodate people who need to use a computer and who indicate they have a medical need and can not wear a mask.

3. Michelle Stottlemire on said:

I really appreciate this breakdown. Will there be any institutional reevaluation of jobs/tasks that currently require staff to be within 6 feet of each other for extended periods? Thanks.

4. Marie Pyko on said:

Michelle, yes we are looking at each of the jobs and tasks and determining how or if we can do these tasks maintaining our 6 foot social distance. We will have to figure out other ways we can do some of this work or what can be done quickly within the 15 minute framework. Please feel free to email me if you have specific tasks that we need to consider and we can begin to create that list. Once I have a few together working with a team I can post some recommendations.

5. Carrie Cummings on said:

Is the old Tech Services room available for lunches?

I had another coworker mention that the auditorium was locked when she tried to go there to eat lunch today. Do we need to contact someone to get in and keep it locked?

Thanks.

6. Marie Pyko on said:

Carrie, I will talk with John and Thad I noticed that as well with the Hughes room and Perkins. I will figure out a convenient place to put a key if we need/want to keep it locked. Once I know where the key will be I will post it.

• Marie Pyko on said:

The rooms designated as lunch spaces have cleaning supplies and are now unlocked. If for some reason they end up locked again please contact Facilities.

7. Matt Pettit on said:

In Media, there are occasional customers needing extended help (filling out something important, can’t until they have access to their email, need help to unlock their gmail with their phone, etc). I (and others) have worked with people recently for waay over 15 minutes and waay less than 6 feet. I don’t see a clear way to make these interactions safe.

• Patty Akrouche on said:

Matt, I agree. Yesterday the problems with the scanner and fax machine created a situation where one staff member spent upwards of 25 minutes in very close proximity with a patron. Perhaps a guided video on a small screen that plays on a loop could help in the business center? I know many people want to be able to do it themselves but lack the instruction.

8. Marie Pyko on said:

Matt- it is perfectly okay to say at this time we need to stay 6 feet away from everyone. We are not able to work up close. This was one of the reasons we originally purchased the laser pointers. If customers have questions about that please let them know these are the procedures we have to work with to be able to stay open. I know that doesn’t feel good because we all want to be helpful but it is what we need to do to keep everyone as safe as possible.

9. Marie Pyko on said:

Patty- Kelli is working on some instructions for the new fax machines. It may take a few days. Please also let customers know we must keep our 6 foot distance as much as possible. It is important that we maintain the 6 foot distance so we keep everyone as safe as possible.

10. Meredith Snepp on said:

Could we have some gentle reminders posted in the places we are able to eat in terms of how many can eat? I know I can forget the latest round of rules and guidelines with everything else on my mind and a visual “oh yeah only 2 people in here!” might help all of us be more cognizant and seek a different place to eat. I know I’ve felt uncomfortable speaking up because I don’t want to be a meanie! 🙂

• Michelle Stottlemire on said:

Excellent idea. A master list in each of the approved eating rooms would be helpful. That way, if the first one you went to was at capacity you would have a handy chart of where else to try.

• Angie Reed on said:

I think that would be super helpful to have a list of all of the approved spaces to lunch! I know that I get a little panicky when I have to try to figure out where I can eat.

• Autumn Friedli on said:

In the post up above, Marie listed out all the spaces and max number of people who can be in them under the “Lunches” portion.
          The following rooms can be used for lunches:

Hughes (2 people)
          Perkins (2 people)
          Marvin 101B (2 people)
          Marvin 101C (2 people)
          Break room (2 people)
          Public Services conference room (2 people)
          Scarlett’s former office – only 1 person
          Bookmobile conference room (2 people)
          Bookmobile breakroom (2 people)

11. Michelle Stottlemire on said:

I’m in 101C right now to eat a snack during break and I don’t see any sanitizing equipment around. Can we please get spray and paper towels in “lunch rooms” to clean up for the next person? Also the marquee outside the rooms says it’s reserved from 1-3…will 101B/C have regular in-house reservations that remove it from lunch availability? (Acknowledging staff end up with a variety of hours for lunch) Thanks!

• Marie Pyko on said:

Michelle, thanks for saying something. They probably got moved when we did the Zoom retirement yesterday. I will go down and sort it out. There may be times (hopefully rare) that a room needs to be used for a staff related activity. For now please look at the events page to see if it is booked. I will look at how often this may happen.